Cash may disappear by 2050…

Mind over matter!

The less we expose ourselves to germs and viruses, the less our immune systems can cope with infections.

I used justpark.com last time I went, as there’s no 24h car park either (at least, that I could find). Justpark worked well, as I ditched the car on someone’s drive and didn’t have to think about it again until I drove home.

2 Likes

This has been disproven.

It was popular in the 1990s and was known as the “hygiene hypothesis”.

Basically, although you do build up immunity when exposed to diseases, it doesn’t “improve” the wider functioning of your immune system. So deliberately making yourself ill through exposure is not desirable at all.

1 Like

But endlessly cleaning yourselves and sterilising everything you use is a recipe for disaster.

Why?

It’s a sensible and prudent precaution which protects you and others.

1 Like

Or “frequently” perhaps?

1 Like

Good point!

Frequently is a good idea.

Endlessly implies that it’s more an obsession, and that’s clearly not a good thing.

4 Likes

Be happy to see it go sooner and cheques.

1 Like

That’s why doctors/surgeons die so early and why deaths during childbirth and minor surgeries flew up after sterilisation became ubiquitous I guess?

2 Likes

Sigh

Doctors and surgeons don’t spend their entire life in a sterile environment.

If people want to legitimise their OCD, be my guess, just don’t expect everyone else to do so. I know people who won’t take money from an ATM “because someone else has touched the keys”, but are happy to take “dirty” money from a cashier, who may or may not have wiped their hands regularly with antibacterial wash. The same people wash their washing with antibacterial wipes when they do their shopping.

Fixed that for you, as I assume that’s what you meant.

I do this when shopping and don’t use cash because I believe it’s unnecessary when there are other ways to pay and it’s unhygienic.

A logically consistent approach, I think. You seem to be saying that anyone being concerned about cleanliness doesn’t make sense. I don’t understand that, especially in the middle of a pandemic.

I know most people won’t want to bother wiping their shopping, but given it’s fairly quick and easy and then might slightly reduce the chance of catching COVID (which I really don’t want to get) it seems logical to me.

1 Like

But then the high level of cleanliness has set us up for a whole new world of pain with flu and colds this winter. They’re giving flu jabs now with the least certainty on strains they’ve had in years. It’s much more complex than simply blitzing everything. Which is why track and trace, done correctly, would have been so valuable, imo

Not really, the only reason colds and flu circulate so readily is because people don’t all treat hygiene as important and take precautions.

Unlike COVID, they only get passed on from symptomatic infection - so if everyone who knew they were ill washed their hands properly and didn’t sneeze all over other people they wouldn’t spread.

It’s literally as simple as that.

1 Like

I agree, but it was always going to be hard to do really well.

It’s difficult for people to remember exactly where they have been and when, never mind who else was with them and for how long.

Nah, it was easy to do properly. We just needed Parliament to compel Apple / Google to load their stuff onto phones (instead of making it optional) and then make it legal and common for police to check if people had their phones told to stay home. Anyone breaking the rule gets a flat 50k fine.

You’d have two idiots lose their house, the sun would lap it up and it would stop overnight

2 Likes

I just came here to post the same article :rofl:

How much are these “cash experts” being paid to spout absolute twaddle :rofl:

I’ve seen cash usage ramp up in my line of work - but I’ve yet to see a single instance where it’s helping people budget. A false sense of security and little else.

I am surprised the BBC have not opened a HYS on this article so people can have their say tbh.

They do so on other easy-reporting articles.

I mean, I cringe when I see this spouted all the time - especially for vulnerable or elderly people or those who don’t have access to digital banking.

Why do reporters always seem to think that because you are elderly, you are incapable of using modern technology :person_shrugging:

I am not in the area of elderly yet, however, I am from the pencil and paper era.

3 Likes

I presume this has more to do with people who previously relied on bank branches relying on the Post Office counter instead, rather than a genuine increase in cash usage.

3 Likes