Chase UK Discussion

I just had them hidden. Same outcome.

1 Like

It’s not because you see the hidden box on the same screen so kind of defeats the object there

They should work out something for bills accounts, still

1 Like

Would be interested to see if the new card stack design will make room for Virtual Cards

1 Like

As someone who actually uses Chase as an everyday personal spending account, the update isn’t a bad effort at all in my opinion, certainly nothing offensive going on.

I do find the comments made by some contributors, mostly on the other forum, a tad amusing in that they have little good to say with regard to the Chase app. That is of course in their gift but I suspect those are the same customers who opened an account and subsequently just don’t ever bother using it for anything. I guess if you’re a die hard Monzonite or a Starling shed pilot or perhaps a Nationwide advert poet, the Chase app will never live up to their expectations, which is why I wonder why those same people bother retaining the account :person_shrugging:

Shame there’s no dark mode :new_moon:

6 Likes

Some opinions:

• split invest/saving into their own tabs
  • dark mode pls
  • bring Nutmeg into Chase instead of trying to interlink separate financial products
  • attach interest to current accounts or allow manual designation of savings accounts to show on the spend tab
  • calling it the spend tab, feels weird that rewards is there? maybe move that to a rewards tab. spending spotlight is probably ok
  • also not entirely pleased the way they’re trying to do this, by making it into a section w/ no way for me to not see it/ignore it. would be okay if their fees didn’t seem to be expensive

I think it’s nice and polished now. It’s in a good place to possibly bring more stuff. The new card stack could make room for credit cards, virtual cards etc.

Save and Invest has a lot of potential and could eventually incorporate crypto investments etc.

1 Like

I’ve been quite critical of Chase and do fit into the above category. I used it for a few months but found that recurring card payments intermittently failed and it was a pain having to update my manual Chase account in Emma all the time. The only DD I tried failed completely and I had to pay it another way that month. Since then it’s been dormant.

I could close the account but I guess there’s always some hope that it’ll become a reliable current account with all the features one would expect. Also they appear not to be letting people back after closing their account.

1 Like

I closed my account ages ago but forgot to announce it :joy:

I’ve only been using Starling for years now and the Chase app is just not as good in comparison.

1 Like

That seems to be the plan.

Makes sense to me. Rewards are largely tied to spending.

I shared my initial thoughts over there, forgot to share them here, so I’ll copy paste now!

This is actually a masterclass in how to give your UI a makelift though, for a few reasons.

1. It’s evolutionary as opposed to revolutionary thinking. They’ve overhauled their UX to a completely new human interface whilst keeping it familiar enough that you don’t need to relearn how to use it. The downside is, if you were expecting a huge overhaul, the changes are more subtle and harder to notice.
    It’s a bigger change than it looks, and this is a feat that’s very hard to pull off. It’s very easy to overhaul your app, change to a newer modern UI guideline (this is the new modern Apple human interface, so it looks more like a native app kit app now), and lose all that’s familiar about it. It’s why when companies embark on changes like this they alienate their existing customers who like the old design along the way. Here they’ve evolved it, but in a way that avoids that. It’s very Apple.
  2. They’ve launched it to everyone, at once. None of this AB testing BS Google popularised that European companies love to deploy, which is an ethically immoral way to launch things IMO, and ultimately confusing for everyone. No phased rollout either, which is just nice.
  3. They’ve added more functionality that builds on top of pre-existing interactions that actually elevates the usability rather than breaks it. Have a play with this, and you’ll get a feel. Your muscle memory should be in tact. All the old gestures still work, and the new one for navigating between the pages doesn’t interfere with them. That tells me this has been well tested prior to shipping.

I think it’s a good evolution that’s been executed superbly. The UX improvements are profound, whilst the interface remains familiar. It’s a doubling down on simplicity. The only real miss in my view is that it’s just the home tab. The other tabs are really jarring to use now as a result, and I’m not fond of this approach. I’d much rather the whole app be done and updated before shipping things like this.

6 Likes

A really comprehensive assessment - thank you. :relieved:

2 Likes

You realise A/B testing isn’t a launching thing? It’s a testing thing. We do it to see how users use things, before we commit to an approach

Yes, I know what A/B testing is. I don’t like the practice. Monzo do it all the time, often impacting users on their ability to use their bank, and impacting the ability to get help because other customers, nor Monzo customer support will be aware of it. Sometimes they last that long it may as well be a split launch. The whole whether or not you had a chat button supposedly began as A/B testing, and then it just stayed that away, though they claim it became based on a certain criteria thing* , the result is still the same.

If Starling’s customer support agents can be completely oblivious to the fact their cards are portrait and green, years after they’ve been around and block and replace a newly activated card suspecting foul play because the design had changed, imagine how poorly an A/B test could go if customer support doesn’t know about it.

There are other, better, more ethical ways of testing if you must. In reality though, if more than one approach is making it beyond the mock-up phase, that’s a poor management issue IMO.

*I’m not sure I buy it though, it’s just one emoloyee’s statement, whilst Monzo are silent. Same employee once messaged to tell me Apple Pay would be returning to Monzo.me imminently after businesses got it, and we still don’t have that, so grain of salt :salt:

Name them?

And no, some things you test to see how users would interact with them. It’s not a poor management issue or a poor design issue. There are simply multiple ways that could achieve X and instead of changing them for everyone multiple times it’s better to try it out and see what the interaction patterns are like before a full rollout

Having done masses of A/B [and A1/A2 v B1/B2] I don’t have any issues with it mostly because the information gleaned would help us save money and get a better response. You need a good stats bod for that.

Focus groups, street surveys have their place.

Now someone is going to tell me that all that is so last week!

R-

1 Like

Opt in open beta testing is the most popular way of testing, and in my opinion is the best way to do it, before shipping things.

If you’re going to do A/B testing at least make it opt in only and clearly communicate what it means. It certainly has its place, but you have to go about it the right way.

This is something you capture in the prototyping stage. If this is going through to testing, you’re doing something wrong and wasting significant amounts of resources and time.

1 Like

Imo that’s a wrong opinion, opt-in = skewed market. You’ve got people who are likely bias towards liking your stuff. Maybe less critical of your placement of things

?? The users I’d likely want to test my product won’t likely opt-in. Especially in business environments

No lol. Users behave stupidly different to our intended usage patterns sometimes.

Do you think the guy making stimulants at a lab for those with ADHD tested it with people for party purposes or that people appropriated it?

If they wouldn’t opt in to be tested on then they don’t want to be tested on and you should leave them alone.

I don’t understand sometimes how the concept of consent gets so lost when it comes to technology. It’s easily disregarded when we wouldn’t in other aspects of society. Thank goodness the industry isn’t monolithic.

To use your own ADHD hypothesis (which is inherently flawed IMO, but let’s roll with it), do you truly not see the ethical problems with testing on unwilling and unconsensual participants?

And by consent i don’t just meant something you can bury in a pages long terms document no one will read, but a big fat warning in plain English with clear yes or no options. It’s what the big social media companies use as their scapegoat, and it’s not a case of people sign up for it and they don’t care, it’s that they don’t realise it’s happening to them most of the time.

A/B testing isn’t dissimilar from running a social experiment, and in any other field, you wouldn’t get away with that without express consent and a signature.

It’s not a black and white thing though, and there are some important moral considerations to take. It’s not always about what you want. This back and fourth can really only go circular before it becomes a political issue, as you have a knack for doing. It’s clear we have different beliefs here and aren’t going to see eye to eye on it.

So I’ll leave it here with this TechCrunch article, which you may find illuminating. Or you may not.

Are you sure that’s not just FOMO? My view would be, if you’re genuinely not bothered about the account, just close it instead of torturing yourself over whether or not Chase will eventually reach your high expectations.

Clearly if that is the case, I fully support it. If I dump a bank because I’ve personally decided they’re crap or I was tempted away by a switching bribe, I’d have no complaint if the bank concerned told me to get stuffed. There should definitely be a minimum period of no return of at least 2 years.

None of this opinion is personally aimed at you MikeZ, it’s just a general opinion from my owned warped mind :laughing:

I respect your opinions, but, and there’s always a but :laughing:, why do you actually bother having a Chase account? In other words, have you genuinely got anything good to say about the account? You must have a valid reason for retaining the account?