Going cashless

/shrug maybe the company that run the majority of these cancerous schemes in my hometown are different

don’t know anyone who’s ever been taken to court, they just bin every letter and eventually they stop coming

it seems they send the letter to get people to pay up, then if you bin it they’ll try chasing it several times but haven’t ever taken it further

1 Like

With respect, it appears you’re extrapolating very little data to suit your supposition.

1 Like

I am extrapolating based on an anecdote (my uncle got one) paired with that it’s a contract dispute (and a flimsy one) at best, since your argument could be anything

I’m not sure I follow you. But, honestly, it doesn’t matter. :blush:

1 Like

Whilst some organisations continue to cite the elderly (amongst other groups) who find it difficult to navigate life in a digital world, I meet plenty of ‘elderly’ people on a daily basis in my job who for some reason, are perfectly capable of using a computer or smartphone to order a weekly shop. Yes, I admit, some of those ‘elderly’ folks have their shopping ordered by relatives remotely and the shopping just turns up at the door. I delivered to a lady the other day who I can tell you was actually a bit pi@%ed off at her daughter because she just orders food in without consulting her. The poor woman didn’t even know the food shopping was coming and her words to me were, ‘I wish they’d (her family) would just mind their own bloody business! I’m perfectly capable of buying my own food in’.

And of course plenty of the elderly do order stuff online, all cashless, from all of the places that many of us buy from. I just think that using the elderly specifically as an excuse for keeping cash going, is dull and quite insulting to be honest. I see plenty of ‘elderly’ folk in the supermarket paying by contactless card and occasionally even using the supermarket’s own App via smartphone. But of course the organisations who allegedly speak up on behalf of our wonderful older generation, don’t want to tell the rest of us that some older folk manage perfectly well without cash because that isn’t a news story.

Yes, another feel good story:

2 Likes

Reading that article, it looks like two elderly people are complaining that ‘some’ elderly or vulnerable people are affected.

I have to admit, I get really hacked off when stores try to nudge me into downloading yet another app to my phone, to the extent I’d rather shop elsewhere.

1 Like

And clearly if you feel that way, then you should.

I’m quite happy personally, do embrace digitally, as much as I can. I can’t or won’t apologise for wishing that cash didn’t exist. I’ve said it on a number of occasions, it facilitates crime, from a hygiene perspective, it’s utterly gross and I actually feel dirty after touching it because it’s passed through the hands of goodness knows who, often contaminated with drugs and faeces. I just don’t want that sh%t in my wallet if I’m honest.

2 Likes

Yep. I’m not arguing against cashlessness, I prefer to pay by card in every situation, I just find the store apps a pain point, I guess.

1 Like

Literally!

I suppose this is more of a problem if you shop around because you don’t want to have to maintain 5+ apps on your phone. If you usually visit only 2 or 3 different shops, then that isn’t too many apps.

I find having various apps fine and I’d rather deal with that than loads of different paper vouchers which I’d probably end up losing!

I’m so enjoying the current exchange on the other forum where a contributor is banging on about the wonders and joys of cash but bizarrely, seems to go out and buy bread from shops that set a minimum of £3 or £5 spend on a debit card. This in turn forces the contributor to buy extra goods when they only want bread. Mmmm, puzzled somewhat, loves cash, but uses card, why am I confused about this :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And yet I can go to Tesco and buy a loaf of white bread for 60p and pay for it on a card and it isn’t a problem. I guess though if all you’re going to ever use is the local very convenient corner shop for purchases, then perhaps one should just suck it up and pay for the convenience.

1 Like

Was just about to comment about this guy - what on earth is he on about?

1 Like

Well the same contributor claims they sold an iphone for £750 in cash and yet they still use card for buying bread, odd that.

Oh, and can anyone else tell fake money apart from real stuff whilst blind folded?

1 Like

Probably took the contract out a week before…

2 Likes

This is a very enjoyable thread, so enjoyable I want my skull caved in with a rock

I can’t stop watching this thread but it’s so bad at the same time lmao

2 Likes

Wasn’t someone earlier accusing someone else of saying those who can’t pay by card should be banned from driving?

There’s some jumped up person on there that claims some people are unable to use card etc that indeed believes someone made this point

In reality the person was saying that “people when older drive worse on average due to declining bodily function” and “there is probably overlap with this and people who those say need cash to maintain”

Personally I don’t buy the argument that anyone needs cash enough to keep it around. Such a tiny minority of people now that we can’t use accessibility as the excuse to deliver terrible value to the taxpayer at a time where we need to cut costs to avoid inflating people’s council tax bills further, which will squeeze wallets even tighter during the cost of living crisis.

1 Like

I did basically make that point in the thread in a slightly less direct way!

I’ve said my piece on it and bowed-out for now though.

More feel good stories:

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/international-fraudsters-ran-70m-money-laundering-scheme

Cash, wonderful cash! Of course people don’t want to see cash go.

Doesn’t help when the powers that be are so incompetent, that carrying out proper checks before just pouring billions of taxpayer money down the drain by handing it directly to criminals, is par for the course. Meanwhile, social care is close to collapse, Council taxes continue to rise, the NHS is on its knees and the cash just keeps pouring out of the country into the bank accounts of criminals. Of course, any money seized, is just a drop in the ocean. Am I surprised by any of this? No, not at all, because ultimately, the Government probably factor all of this in as an acceptable risk.

1 Like

I’m beginning to get the feeling you don’t like cash :joy:

1 Like

For balance, and Matt set this forum up on just that defining principle………… I love cash.

Great big fat fistfuls of tenners and fifties - the grubbier the better. (:flushed:)

It reminds me of the reason I became a numismatist - the thought of all those hands the coins had passed though……

There - I said it :relieved:

1 Like