Mobile Carriers

So if signal strength is so poor as to make the service impractical, isn’t that sufficient to exclude it as a provider option. What would mitigate that?

I think that the point being made is that signal strength is just one factor. It’s perfectly possible to have poor signal strength but good service, and vice versa.

1 Like

Hmm - not sure that’d stack up for the longer term. What other factors would balance that up?

Things that the consumer can’t measure, mainly, like the contention ratio (how many others are using the same mast). Also how many other masts are nearby: my signal strength varies when at the same spot from one to four bars on 4G, and I believe that it’s because there are two masts nearby and my phone doesn’t necessarily connect to the one with the strongest signal as I can improve the signal by toggling airplane mode on and off.

1 Like

So, I just realised Virgin Mobile skips out support for my phone on WiFi/4G Calling. Have I got any chance to get out of contract without paying termination?

Likely no, but if you’re at the start of your agreement you might be able to cancel under a cooling off period.

If there is no reception, it’s certainly valid to exclude.

It’s wrong to assume that one network’s full strength signal is going to be better than another’s 2 bar signal though, and equally it’s wrong (although totally understandable) to assume that one network offering 5G will be a better service than another network’s 4G.

The only real way to tell is to use a SIM actively for a month, in my opinion, which for me would preclude any operator’s PAYG option.

2 Likes

I’m past the 14 days unfortunately, I’ve just filed a complaint because there’s a disparity of information they publish

One link seems to suggest that the device supports it (and presumably so would virgin, as they checked it as working) while another part specifically sets out that X devices are supported. Hoping they’ll see it from that angle and let me leave without hassle. Otherwise I’m in a pickle

Welp, would like to mention to all check your network supports eSIM for all phones that support eSIM. Tad weird to me, but Virgin Mobile don’t support eSIM for iPhone 13. So now I have 3-5 business days of waiting for the ability to use my phone lmao

Anyone know something I can use in the meantime?

Vodafone provide instant instantiation of eSims. Contract though. They’re the only ones who offer this.

Every other network that provides eSim send a plastic card first and then once the sim is active you can swap to an esim. Or if you choose the right options signing up, they send a QR code through the post. The exact method varies, but it always involves waiting for snail mail.

This is to say, even if virgin did support it, you’d still be waiting. And it might not be that they don’t, just that they can’t provide one until a physical sim has been sent and activated, at which point they’ll let you swap. I’ll need to double check later, but I’m sure my friend’s phone is the iPhone 13 and they have an esim from Virgin, but it’s the second dual sim.

Shame they killed their Virgin Tube WiFi. Otherwise they’d be pretty attractive for me right now.

Never understood this. Why eSIM if not for instantaneous usage paired w/ reduction in environmental cost.

They do, just not for the iPhone 13. I already was using eSIM for my iPhone XR but when I tried enabling it on the 13 I got no service. Called up (after adding the eSIM back to the XR) and it turns out they just don’t enable the functionality for some models. It’s very stupid. Not sure what to do really, as I’m stuck in SIMO contract until Feb 23.

Just jumping on here to see what others think!
My sim-only contract with Three is up this month and I’m not sure what to do.

I’ve been pretty disappointed with Three - people seem to shout about how great their coverage is but 4G and 5G speeds have been pretty slow in my experience.

I’m looking to either switch out to EE or Vodafone but not sure what’s best. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

My understanding is Three’s 5G should be best at the end of the road of 5G since they have the most uninterrupted bandwidth

For now though, EE if you’re in London, Vodafone or EE anywhere else; probably not much of an issue. I’d try having a look at coverage map for your local area.

Me neither but I’ve heard a justification along the lines of the fact carriers have always relied on sending something to your address which you then activate as a means of verifying you.

I think it’s a load of tosh though. I’d wager it’s more to do with the methodologies of older pre-existing paradigms underpinning the delivery of the newer tech, as is so often the case with established companies venturing into new technologies.

In the end, I got a 12 month plan for Three through Fonehouse. £14 a month (including rebate) for Unlimited 5G usage as well as Tube Wi-Fi.

Honest Mobile is neat, but I couldn’t find enough people to put onto the network that it would be anywhere near comparable for the price. With the little roaming I do, it’ll work out cheaper over the long run to just pay the £2-5/day (although I will get a local SIM while I’m roaming)

I saw the little ‘E’ icon (for EDGE) on my phone for the first time in a very long time in Walsall of all places. I thought all that stuff had been turned off ages ago.

Happy memories of disabling 3G so my Blackberry would last an extra day without charge.

I’m looking forward to Zevvle bringing this in. No eta yet though

I’m sure I read recently that SMETS2 meters in all but the north of England use O2 EDGE (the document said “2.5G”).

I believe the aim is to switch off 2G and 3G by 2033, meaning that the communications hub in SMETS2 meters will need to be replaced to support 4G.

1 Like

Interesting, thank you. This was Vodafone FWIW.

Yet another half baked element of the Smart Meter rollout then.

Zevvle now to cease trading,

1 Like