Revolut seeking a UK Bank Licence

2 Likes

Ooo! Exciting!

1 Like

Iā€™d expected their approach to trading and promoting cryptocurrencies would be problematic. Remains to be seen I suppose.

Iā€™m looking forward to this for nothing more than gaining FSCS protection for an account I already have anyway.

If they also bring out exciting new products or otherwise manage to compete with other banks as a result of no longer having e-money restrictions, it will be interesting and may be useful, but I donā€™t even need that to happen to be pleased with the development.

I look forward to seeing if the reports are true!

3 Likes

I think I could stand the loss of my Ā£0.10 balance in the event Revolut collapse tbh :rofl:

1 Like

Surely it would pave the way to continue using revolut as a ā€œburnerā€ account rather than relying solely on Monzo and Starling, from the tech perspective?

1 Like

Revolut will probably adopt a similar restriction on re-joining to Monzo and Starling, to avoid overuse of CASS.

I think banks arenā€™t technically allowed to restrict CASS itself, so limits on returning customers are a way around it that still meet the rules.

2 Likes

Sounds good, more competitors. Iā€™m guessing it will take a while for it to actually roll out to customers?

1 Like

Judging from todayā€™s news, Revolut have some way to go.

2 Likes

I rather like the quote from the anonymous senior official at the FCA:

ā€œWe may find itā€™s better to have Revolut pissing into the tent, so we can get a better look at what gets wet, than if itā€™s outside in the dark. After a certain point, it has become so big that we need it in our regulatory orbit.ā€

5 Likes

Chaucer - unless my English Lit fails meā€¦ā€¦:thinking:

Ah, but they didnā€™t use the c-word (or q-word in Chaucerā€™s case) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is there any bank with a full licence that is offering crypto products direct to consumers?

I pray to the Lord almighty, that not

1 Like

Things have gone quite. Any updates on this?

1 Like

I suspect the dodgy accounts and auditorā€™s concerns are holding things up.

Ah yes, thought so: Revolut audit queries, skittish regulators complicate its UK licence bid -sources (yahoo.com)

1 Like

If I were a foreign regulator the first thing Iā€™d be doing is checking if theyā€™d managed to get a licence in their home country. Iā€™m guessing the ECB or Lithuanian Central Bank could have contacted the BoE or FCA/PRA to ask if theyā€™ve any concerns that could spiral to the EU bank.

Very suspicious that, in their largest market, theyā€™ve got nothing to show for their troubles licence wise !

Youā€™re rich - Iā€™ve got 1p in mine.

Was going to close it then changed phones and canā€™t be bothered reactivating as they replaced my German Maestro with a second GB Visa card - Maestro was itā€™s sole USP (for me)

He left the company for unrelated reasons the following month to take up a new job elsewhere

No wonder Revolut are struggling to get a banking license.

2 Likes

Oh dear

I canā€™t imagine him whining that he would up sticks and move to the US to list the bank there helped any, either.

1 Like