Royal Mail

What percentage of shares do you think ordinary workers have ? I’ve no issue with ordinary postal workers, but their incompetent, solely costs focussed management have created loads of the problems that the company have.

Right now they’re actually making a load of workers redundant in management because top boss doesn’t like managers

But I don’t actually know, I reckon there’s probably statistics on it

They were given 10% of the shares at flotation.

The last figures I saw suggested that staff still owned 8% of the company.

1 Like

So, basically, 92% of the shared don’t belong to the company, and if you’re looking at the actual delivery staff, it will be a fraction of the 8%. Managers will own the vast majority of it.

As I understand it, all RM staff where given free shares at flotation and the opportunity to buy more.

I think the 8% only represents those free shares not any extra they may have purchased.

I would be very suprised if managers held more than other staff.

1 Like

I think most staff - like BT, British Gas, and the electricity companies will have sold them off. The reality is that it’s a myth to think that the staff of the company outside senior managers and the board will have any influence on company policy.

2 Likes

Forgive me if I’m missing the point, but in the conversation about share ownership within Royal Mail, are you suggesting that it has a connection with influence over company business?

If so, I’d suggest there’s little to link them. Most folk, I’d contend, see the shares as an investment, not an opportunity to have their say.

If not, ignore me :blush:

1 Like

That’s not my point. My point is that numerous people will say that having a “stake” in the company gives you a say, or that if you are an employee with a shareholding, that you have some kind of say in the way that a company is run.

I think that’s exactly my point too. :blush:

Of course you do - you own part of that company. If you want to be a passive investor, that is your option too. I also think that employees should get a seat on the board (irrespective of shares) like they do in Germany.

As for the topic at hand, I actually rate the Royal Mail highly - if they deliver late but it hasn’t adversely affected you, claim the money back and get a free service.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.