Savings accounts with “high” interest rates

I don’t deny that aside from pandemics, I’m a fairly frequent long haul flyer, but I was referring solely to not having kids, nothing to do with anything else. Having kids from what I’ve read, does leave a carbon footprint. Anyway, it’s a personal choice not to have kids and we made that choice.

3 Likes

Wow! we really do have a lot in common. Do you also like drinking 18 year old single malt whisky?

1 Like

Absolutely! My Wife bought me a very lovely single malt for my birthday a couple of months back. It didn’t last very long at all!

1 Like

At my age, I find it difficult to sustain a high level of interest :rofl:

See what I did there…

8 Likes

Got the thread back on topic :joy::rofl:

1 Like

NatWest have a version of this account as well.

1 Like

As others have recommend, try out Dozens Bonds and open the Digital Regular Saver at NatWest to go with your RBS one (just remember, when setting up your account for the Rewards Wallet, you will need to use a different email address to the one you use at RBS as they rely on the same system).

Other ideas are look into Reward accounts, like NatWest and RBS, Barclays and Halifax. Co-op also do one and, if you live in Northern Ireland, Danske Bank. Not interest, per se, but potentially a good return.

You are allowed to have multiple Virgin Money current accounts, so potentially open more of those. If you open multiple, just make sure to space out the applications a bit otherwise they will probably decline them.

You are also allowed up to three Bank of Scotland Classic accounts with the Vantage interest-earning addon. These pay the same interest rate as Club Lloyds on the same maximum balance.

If you’ve never had a Nationwide FlexDirect account before, that pays decent interest for the first year.

If you pay regular household bills via Direct Debit, potentially consider Santander 123 Lite as you can earn cashback on your bills with that account.

A lot of these have hoops to jump through to qualify or earn the interest, which you will have to check, but the conditions are fairly easy to meet.

2 Likes

I opened four in six weeks.

Word of warning to those seeking credit, it will hit your rating as hard search done for each, despite no overdraft on any!

2 Likes

Indeed, the same happened to me.

They only seemed to hard search at Experian, though. They did search other CRAs too, but only as a quotation search which was a little weird.

1 Like

No hard or soft searches on my Equifax, through Clearscore.

And you’re right. Soft searches only on TransUnion, through Credit Karma.

Weird that.

You can get 1.45% on two accounts, each up to £5k, separately at Halifax and at Lloyds, possibly Bank of Scotland (I haven’t doublechecked), for each child under 15, and use their £100 tax-free allowance before your own. Ironically, they’re treated as payment accounts too, so they track well in Emma.

If you have 4 kids, that’s potentially £120k at 1.45%, truly easy access.

Still not as good as Virgin Money!

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fraud Scams etc

https://stocks.apple.com/As8rZzlSESkqTFGiTgkGW4g

I was thinking about this, just this very morning. It’s becoming really difficult to find a savings account that actually helps you save.

I’m working on the basis that a rate is better than no rate - but I’m also thinking it’s time to think about investment for the longer term.