Settle this one, please?

In a nutshell. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve never heard that, it must be a local colloquialism/dialect.

I have seen American films and TV programmes where characters mention that they “forgot [it] at home”, when they either mean that they “forgot [something]” or “left [it] at home”.

The example you raise is quite similar and it’s easy to see how two phrases with similar meanings, but used with different grammatical rules and in slightly different senses, can become commingled over time.

People keep seeing can I lend… as opposed to can I borrow… or can you lend me…

can I lend means the opposite of what they’re asking for. It means they want to give me something, not me give them something.

2 Likes

I see, I agree, but I haven’t heard it (yet).

It sounds like another example of the conflation we’ve just been discussing above, so properly it’s unfortunately going to catch on!

1 Like

What gets me is there increasing use of bad grammar, perhaps were they don’t know any better :thinking:

Auto-correct is probably not as clever :man_facepalming: :rofl:

Auto-correct does my head in. But that is probably a separate argument/debate :smile:

A great sounding word, that, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually said it out loud.

Go on, everyone, you know you want to….:grin:

Yeah, that is the word to fit into conversation today, but not in texts, but real live talking. See the facial expression then :rofl:

1 Like

It so happens I’m off to Timpson’s to get my dry cleaning. This should be good…….:grinning:

I demand a TikTok of that convo.

(Then again, I have never used TikTok so :person_shrugging:)

:rofl:

I do take some care to use what I understand as correct grammar and spelling. “Would of” and “could of” do grate on me, also things like “the data are” rather than “these data are,” incorrect apostrophes, incorrect use of your/you’re, etc. I will always use British English unless the context requires US spellings. And, yes, “I couldn’t care less” sounds correct and the variant sounds incorrect.

I’ve seen people using “one of” when I think they mean “one off”.

1 Like

I’ve always struggled with this one. To the extent that I’d feel quite comfortable saying “this data is”.

It’s wrong (I guess) but it sounds better. :flushed:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m on a losing battle, but clearly “data” are plural and “datum” is singular. I always use them that way, and correct any academic writing I’m reviewing that gets it wrong.

1 Like

….as of course you should. (Just don’t mark my work :smiling_face:).

2 Likes

I think that particular boat has long since sailed.

One die is also one dice these days too.

2 Likes

I overheard a great one recently

“he is on another level playing field”

I did not catch enough of the conversation to work out the intended meaning.

Have we done “different to” -v- “different from”?

We haven’t - but we jolly well should :smirk:

(Or even “different than” ?)

1 Like

I was taught that “from” was the correct form this side of the pond but I await learned clarity. R-

Similar to - different from, I was taught.

1 Like