Starling blocking crypto transactions

No! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏

1 Like

Yep, just read about Barclays’ full block on crypto. NatWest, it seems, allow crypto card purchases but not bank transfers. TSB say they allow both (subject to the usual automated checks). I wonder about Lloyds? Might ask them (but I don’t want to be marked down as a potential money launderer! :joy:).

You can even watch the transactions in real time. Some values are eye-watering:
All traceable.

2 Likes

But Monero on the other hand…

This crypto crackdown is such trash, but it seems our country is very hostile to crypto in general, looking at HMRC tax guidance that is basically not possible to comply with

For TrustToken’s stablecoin at the very least, you’re able to burn your coins by sending them back to TrustToken’s address, where this triggers a SWIFT transfer into your account (in GBP, if its TrueGBP) and Crypto.com I’m already verified with so I should be able to cash out somehow

In theory, yes.

In practice not so. Not all of the exchanges have great AML processes in place, and if you send an email to a crypto exchange with regards to a transaction you have concerns about you’re lucky to get a response at all and when you do “no funds remain” is all you get.

1 Like

I would assume they’re ok with it. I have a few friends that play the crypto game and have earned a lot of money in the process. Both use Lloyds, though one did move to Starling recently, which they’ll probably be regretting now!

It’s my lloyd’s-crazed friend who is obsessed with investing in crypto, and she deposits and withdraws large amounts (5 figure sums) through coinbase via Lloyds.

2 Likes

Exchanges are regulated products here, Dan. All major exchanges such as Binance, Coinbase (which probably make up over 95% of volume by UK users not including DEX) are extremely well regulated, with Coinbase specifically providing HMRC with all information they want

Ah ok, good to know! I might have to route my crypto dealings through them then, although since I don’t really use the account much day-to-day that’s probably going to look pretty dodgy, so I’d better up my everyday usage of the account to avoid any trouble :sweat_smile:

Thing is, if banks used common sense, yeah yeah I know that’s not really happening any time soon.

For anything crypto related they could just ask to see the transactions going in, then cashing out etc. The exchanges provide statements and receipts etc etc.

Wouldn’t take much for banks to request this from customers whilst holding the funds in some pending system, they then manually check the information provided and then release or ask for further info.

It looks like a generic bank account icon - like the sort code isn’t linked to a known bank.

I was going to post a screenshot but thought twice. @danw 'll be having a field day with this lot :wink:
Previous URL removed to protect the innocent

Tbh I’m all for scrapping regulation around crypto, AML isn’t valid and neither is KYC when the point of crypto is for your wallet to be your identity, not you

It’s also very hard to provide documents and receipts considering the HMRC guidance on crypto which doesn’t count capital gains on fiat / crypto trades but on crypto for crypto exchange, too making @Crypto suggestion pretty much worthless

1 Like

The sort code is linked directly to Coinbase, you’ve not discovered some secret way to bypass any bans. One bit of code and any bank can just block deposits to that sortcode.

You’re not hiding anything from them by calling it something different in the transactions.

4 Likes

Oh, the day when banks start blocking specific sort codes to stop crypto activity is just around the corner - I don’t doubt that at all. But at this point in time, it’s possible.

You can see why there is so much friction. The very design of blockchain renders the fundamental existence of one of society’s institutions - the bank - obsolete.

But while gaining traction and understanding, it isn’t ready for prime time yet.

1 Like

Several issues though:

1. A lot of the funds criminally moved do so through unscrupulous exchanges, generally based outside of Europe and therefore aren’t subject to the same regulation
  2. Once HMRC/NCA/etc get intelligence from
    a bank about specific payments/transactions then the money is gone. The AML interventions just aren’t there during the transactions.

I’m not anti-crypto by the way. I have absolutely no problems with it, and I think lots of banks just aren’t aware of the realities of how it works and because of POCA their blanket approach is “bank says no”.

POCA btw is a terrible piece of legislation, and I don’t think there any many financial institutions which wouldn’t admit that, at least privately.

3 Likes

It already happens at most UK banks.

3 Likes

Briefly been discussing this with my friends over the last half an hour, and we actually think this might tie in to the Chris Skinner posts, and possibly explain why Starling were given a pass.

So according to one of my friends who both uses Starling as their main account and invests heavily in crypto, this is nothing new from Starling. They’ve completely blocked his ability to use his starling account for crypto at all since the very beginning.

The speculation on our part here is that it’s because they’re still a small bank, with a small number of staff and lack the resources to deal with crypto related fraud and crime.

Lloyd’s and NatWest appear to be the only two banks that don’t care at all from anecdotal experience within our group chat. One of my friend’s opened a NatWest account and withdrew £100k from coinbase and NatWest didn’t care.

HSBC, Barclays, and Monzo all seem to have a similar stance on this. Comparing experience with claims we’ve seen in Reddit regarding account closures, we’ve deduced that these banks are likely quite happy to facilitate crypto under the condition that they’re able to verify the source of your funds. So most people, using their own money, for personal use, with those banks shouldn’t run into any issues.

When those banks can’t verify the source of the funds and that they belong to you, it can appear dodgy, and it’s in those cases where they freeze or close accounts. The recourse here apparently is that you just have to prove where the money came from and that it belongs to you. KYC and AML processes during the on boarding will likely tie into how they determine if something seems dodgy too.

This is all theory derived from anecdotal experiences from our group chat and comparing those with a few cases on r/monzo and other subreddits, and how that ties into the theories raised by Chris Skinner too.

The short of it is, perhaps the reason Starling isn’t seeing quite so many issues as the others is because they outright block crypto from the outset, and then perhaps activate the privilege on a case by case basis, as it does appear some users can use Starling to buy crypto.

Edit: sorry @JoeT didnt mean for this to be a direct reply to you!:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

It’s fine you make sense. It tied in to my original post before when I said they are doing it to protect themselves as a small bank

I said:

1 Like

It’s demographics again.

Starling customers are less likely to bother with crypto. Starling have said that themselves.

Do you have a source for that?

I don’t think demographics much matters anyway since they’re blocking access to Crypto. So even if their customer base wanted to, they wouldn’t be able to with Starling.

1 Like