Why did I do it?

That’s impressive :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t go to things like farmers markets, so it’s been quite easy.

I imagine that some things absolutely require cash still, even in these Covid times, but I haven’t come across any yet.

I do have an emergency £20 note in my wallet, but I haven’t used it (or paid in/withdrawn any more cash) since so I’m not counting the £20.

The pandemic has almost stopped my use of cash. I am pretty sure the notes in my wallet have been there over a year. We have just one drinking establishment that is cash only and of course that has been closed for months as they are indoor space only. It will be interesting to see what they do from next week. The traders on our local street market, not truly the farmers version admittedly, mostly use these little battery operated card reader machines. Very upscale for Dorset. R-

5 Likes

I personally find cash a complete pita. I don’t like carrying it, I don’t like using it. Let’s face it, from a hygiene perspective, cash is absolutely filthy, covered in everything from illegal narcotics to faeces. Last weekend, I had the Chinese takeaway problem again in that they don’t process payments by card, cash only. Only one person in my group had any cash on them, the rest of us had to end up transferring money to his bank account. I’d be happy to see cash dumped tomorrow, but sadly, we’re stuck with it for some time to come yet.

So back to the topic of travel and how we pay for things, well clearly cash is still King in many countries throughout the world, though I note Sweden is probably going to be the first country in the world where cash is made virtually extinct, a little way off yet, but the e-krona is coming:

Where possible though, especially now with Starling’s debit card, then as I mentioned before, that will now always be my first choice of payment where at all possible.

5 Likes

I’ve got no words… :scream:

Sadly though Graham, it’s the truth. Most banknotes have traces of hard narcotics. Coins, kids putting these things in their mouths, doesn’t bear thinking about. Look at all the dirty gits who go to the toilets in pubs and then walk straight to the bar and shove their hands in a bowl of peanuts. Cash basically is disgusting.

3 Likes

I’m starting to itch…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But you’re right of course. Reminds me of the recent hygiene survey performed on McDonalds’ touch-screens…… I’ll leave that there :flushed:

4 Likes

ATMs are also completely filthy, -I once found one covered in vomit. It must be over a year since I last used a cash machine because the only place I use cash is at the local pub and that’s been closed for the biggest part of the last year. Normally I try to avoid places that don’t take cards.

3 Likes

When I walked around the town I live in last Saturday, most of the barber shops had a sign in their windows firmly stating, ‘NO CARDS, CASH ONLY’. I accept some people will find my own view on this somewhat cynical, but it just screams tax avoidance to me. Thankfully, during lockdown, my Wife learned how to cut my hair and to a very good standard, so I no longer have to pay for a haircut, cash, card or otherwise.

4 Likes

I’m chuffed because I’ve finally found a good barber that accepts card (he’s got a SumUp reader)! He used to work at a larger barbers in the city that didn’t - and still doesn’t - accept card payments. I asked him why that place was cash only in this day and age and he admitted it was tax :neutral_face: So while I’m sure there are some barbers that refuse cards to avoid processing fees (despite the impact that would have on their custom - I would actively avoid a cash only place for convenience and hygiene if nothing else), I think your ‘cynical’ view is probably fairly accurate.

3 Likes

Let’s put it this way Lonford, over the years, I’ve also had barbers admit to me that tax is the issue. If you also look at the amount of tips that some barbers receive. No one is telling me that they all declare every penny. But of course as we are all aware, it isn’t just limited to barber shops. Anyway, this is all somewhat off topic.

3 Likes

Laudable though going cashless is, there needs to be a number of caveats attached. The cashless society in Sweden comes at the expense of anyone from outside Sweden not being able to access a large number of these services. In the Netherlands, there are shops that only accept Maestro cards - that’s it. No cash, no credit cards, no other debit cards, only their own local cards. It’s the same with the ir national transport smartcard - the OV Chipkaart - you can’t get one unless you have a Dutch bank account, and you can’t get a (proper) Dutch bank account unless you have a Dutch address.

Think also of numerous countries that do not really “do” cards, or accept only local ones.

I honestly can’t believe people whining about “how dirty” cash is. They’re the kind of people who “don’t do public transport” and who presumably float through mid air and pick things up with a grabber when they go shopping (and wipe everything down with wet wipes when they get the shopping home)

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Going cashless

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Going cashless