Wise for travel

Absolutely not! because I’m tight and I’m not paying the extra for it.

I’m surprised you paid for one at all when the digital card is free!

I’ve not yet learned how to feed a digital card into an ATM. Any ideas?..:thinking:

I’m not sure why you’d want to with Wise’s ATM limits and fees! It’s among the worst cards for it. I’d recommend transferring money to an account with no ATM nor FX fees first and withdrawing on that card instead.

We’re also behind the times in the UK though. Other countries have contactless Apple/Google Pay enabled ATMs now.

1 Like

I’m literally so not worried about it. I’ve loaded my Wise card with £50 worth of Euros to pull out of whatever ATM I come across on the Spanish territory I’m visiting. It’ll be a one time transaction for a few Euro notes. I’m genuinely not bothered about a couple of quid in fees. I do appreciate you caring though :laughing:

1 Like

Just trying to save you a few extra pennies! :wink:

A grand total of 21p* if you withdraw that £50 using Chase or Starling instead of Wise. As long as you stay under £200 and don’t do more than 2 withdrawals it’s not the end of the world. Those pennies can turn into pounds real quick once the limits are exceeded.

*Maybe a teeny bit more, because the Mastercard base rate is better than Wise’s rate too. Wise’s mark-up on the ECB rate is 0.05% higher than Mastercard’s.

Unicaja are another one. They’re quite persistent with their DCC warnings, and the DCC is expensive, but no fees for foreign cards.

1 Like

Thank you for the pointer. From what I gather and purely for convenience, I understand that there’s a Banca March ATM at the arrivals hall at Tenerife South, so I’ll probably give that a go and just withdraw my total €50. As MSE readers seem to have found out, it appears fee free, so I’ll give it a crack.

I am beyond impressed an airport ATM is free, normally I feel like they’re massive scams lol

Why not just lift it from a Euro ATM in the UK? I think they’re all free, or at least I’ve not seen one that charges.

1 Like

Strange - the app is still showing the white card as available to order for me

Not for me. :frowning:

Perhaps it’s because I already have the white one? But then I can’t even order a replacement for it. It sends me to order the green one if it’s lost, stolen, or damaged.

It could well be - I have the green one, and when I select “Order a new card” I only get the white option.

1 Like

Good shout :+1: However, there aren’t an abundance of Euro dispensing machines in my locale :joy:

I’ve been massively overthinking all of this ATM stuff. I’ve literally just remembered I have a very rare visit to our capital city, London I believe it’s called :rofl: in a couple of weeks. I’ve just read that some 70 Tube stations have Euro dispensing ATMs, so if there’s no withdrawal charges, I may as well get the cash then using the Wise card :+1:

1 Like

Wise would only offer me a free digital card once I had a (paid for in my case) physical card.

I guessed it was a KYC process using snail mail.

Odd, they didn’t make me get a physical debit before a virtual

But hey ho, I would never think about using their card for spending anyways lol. They should stick to money transfer and maybe work out some tax compliant multi-country investments

1 Like

All of two in Belfast. There’s also the airports which all seem to have GBP/EUR/USD machines.

If any ATM people are watching the thread, RMB and JPY too pls

And indeed I’m not and my reasoning for getting the card was purely to change some GBP into a bit of currency for my forthcoming trip. I might never use the card again for anything.

Ditto. As I stated in another post, after getting the virtual card literally immediately after application, I looked at getting a physical card but initially decided not to because the cost came up as £7 for the standard green card. Looked a few days later, cost had dropped to £2.50.

You can sometimes get them free. I’ve a green and two white (second thanks to postal strike before Christmas), all free.