1% Cashback on Business Purchases

Bill payments, parking meters, arcades… topping up Spree card. Apple Pay makes no difference at all since it’d still present a credit card rather than a debit card.

Doesn’t this come under the whole Curve Fronted charge? I guess I can get using it, I just think the merchants are few that this applies to.

To be honest I’d also like to mention it’s probably not conducive with their “positive customer outcomes” obligation to allow people to pay bills with a credit card. same w/ arcades as you are effectively gambling

Uh, what? Most (but not all) utility/service providers accept payment from a credit card. Some councils even do for payment of council tax! Nothing irresponsible about accepting/allowing/paying bills via credit card.

Really? How do you consider playing arcade video games to be a gambling activity, please? Same goes for rides, what’s the gamble there - you might die?

Some arcades are cashless nowadays and those ones allow credit cards for purchase of game credit - so once again this isn’t a ‘protecting people’ thing; it’s a strict regulatory thing with regards to family amusement centres which primarily trade in cash.

the physical slot machines where you dump 10p to try win cash, that have gambling warnings on them.

Which clearly can’t be operated using a debit nor credit card?

no but you can get change from the machines that do take debit and credit, which should probably not allow that

they don’t register as cash purchases either which is very Hmmm

I mean, neither do withdrawals out of a cash machine via Curve… no need to faff about exchanging game credit for 2ps/10ps in an arcade to achieve that.

1 Like

I thought they made the world’s first MCC passthrough engine - so they should twig as cash withdrawals.

ATM withdrawals are not processed as purchases like other transactions, so there is no MCC. Curve have to ‘make one up’.