Amazon UK no longer accepting Visa credit cards

They contribute to me - does that count? :innocent:

Youā€™d probably have to scrap the warehouse and make British equivalent something like individual merchants for a good while.

Starting to go off-topic, but I found myself just the other day wishing there was a central website I could go to which would show me all the products available to buy from all the local shops near me. Iā€™d then be more inclined to go out and buy local if I knew in advance that a specific shop had a specific item for a specific price, kind of like Argos but for multiple shops. Itā€™s too easy just to one-click buy at Amazon, because you donā€™t know if a local show has what you want.

2 Likes

Donā€™t really use Amazon. Most things Iā€™d want would incur an order charge & as Iā€™m in a city I can get small ticket items pretty easily on the weekend. You can develop an understand of what is likely to be in what shop by making the odd trip. I wouldnā€™t pay for Prime - Iā€™d only really pay a subscription for companies where I want to contribute to the business model (or Iā€™m getting it dirt cheap in a depreciated currency lol). Proton and Dozens would be good examples of the former.

1 Like

As an alternative, build up a list of UK or local businesses that provides the various services and products you need.

Rather than getting it all from one place which inevitably ends up with the likes of Amazon, itā€™s not that hard to build up a list of your go to companies for the different types of things you buy. And in some cases itā€™s cheaper

1 Like

Amazon has also upped itā€™s welcome gift card for the Amazon MasterCard from Ā£10 to Ā£40

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a business idea in there somewhere James :wink:

I used to work at Argos until 2014, and back then we were rejigging part of the stockroom to be a sort of ā€œthird partyā€ holding space for stock. It ended up being just eBay, but I think the bigger plan was almost anyone and anything.

4 Likes

Weā€™re you logged in, or not?

I just looked at this not logged in and in a fresh browser with no cookies, Amazon are offering Ā£30 now.

So it may be they are offering different amounts as part of an A/B test or, possibly, personalised offers.

I was logged in. I have just checked again right now, it is reduced to Ā£30

Typical!

Iā€™m too slow off the mark, haha.

Now Iā€™m not sure whether to apply now or wait a bit to see if it goes back up once the Visa-acceptance deadline is looming.

Iā€™d wait! The offer seems to fluctuate in my experience, and can even vary by the product page youā€™re on!

Iā€™ve been offered as high as a Ā£50 gift card, which was actually quite recently!

Edit: still seeing that offer!

Second edit: ignore me, itā€™s a different card!

They must have a marketing budget that fluctuates for their various cards.

I seem to remember that the incentive for the NewDay card was removed for a while as they were pushing the Amex business one so much instead.

I will probably wait for a bit and then apply for it nearer the time, or sooner if I see it back up again!

Something to keep an eye on.

1 Like

You may find it at Ā£10 as what happened to me, it was at Ā£20 and decided to waitā€¦ ended up with Ā£10

1 Like

Out of interest, quite what do (did?) you get when you order that particular product :flushed::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

A little desk figure. Funko pops are pretty cute, and if rubber duck debugging is your style as a software engineer, theyā€™re great for that!

Theyā€™re my go to gift for Reddit Secret Santa. My giftee this year loves Spyro, and is also a game developer, so the Spyro funko pop felt like a fitting gift!

And of course from searching for that and buying it, these are all over my recommendations on Amazon now! Not a bad recommendation because theyā€™re great collectibles and good quality not-for-kids toys. Iā€™d love an Eevee one because thatā€™s my favourite OG PokĆ©mon!

The only funko pop I have is a Mr Bean one!

2 Likes

Thankyou - I thoroughly enjoyed your rationale but only understood from ā€œā€¦ā€¦ Mr Beanā€¦ā€¦ā€

:flushed:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an amazing idea. My wife, who isnā€™t a coder, is currently my rubber duck (donā€™t read into that too muchā€¦) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@N26throwaway good idea my favourite PokƩmon is jigglypuff.

3 Likes

Itā€™s official !!!

Iā€™m out of here :flushed:

Donā€™t worry @Graham, you are not alone.

I also struggle to follow PokƩmon references!