Apple suggests iMessage and FaceTime could be withdrawn in UK over law change

We need a breakaway group. :handshake:

1 Like

Won’t it be more complicated if a non UK user starts an encrypted chat with a UK user or that would also not be possible?

That’s one of the many problems with such a proposal.

Here’s a video my ISP made about an old version of this proposal:

It’s completely undeliverable. I’m not going to waste my time worrying about it, we’ve been here so many times in the last 13 years with this particular flavour of government’s desire to limit the internet in ways it has no practical route to enacting.

It’s entirely about appearing to be something to a certain demographic, presumably a demographic who care more about rhetoric than action.

Me and my family/friends have E2E encryption on Messenger :shield:

It’s just another fantasy that could easily bypassed (on Android) with VPNs and sideloading of apps.

I guess if they use the geo location restriction used in the App store and Google play/ account, VPN may not be of help except if you change location of your account in settings which may affect what apps and services are available to you.

There is no way any significant number of people are going to download apps outside the app store.

Good for you. If this passes, you’ll lose that feature.

2 Likes

Worth mentioning that even China doesn’t restrict iMessage with backdoors and I don’t think Russia does either

1 Like

You can just sideload the apps regardless and then Google Play will update them as normal.

I don’t agree.

A mate who’s extended family are located in a country that periodically blocks things like WhatsApp got them all running VPNs to enable free voicecalls/messages on local Wi-Fi/data.

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.