Apple suggests iMessage and FaceTime could be withdrawn in UK over law change

Here is the end result of being held back by the ignorance and fear of so many people.

No one should have to say that allowing a back door into these services by the government is ludicrous but here we are :person_shrugging:

BuT wOn’T sOmEoNe ThInK oF tHe ChIlDrEn!!!

It weakens everybody’s security and privacy - children too! But let’s not pretend that this is about child safety.

1 Like

Apple FaceTime and iMessage, two apps I have zero use for. Everyone I communicate with uses WhatsApp :man_shrugging:

1 Like

WhatsApp is end to end encrypted and have also said if this new law is implemented they will withdraw from the UK.

1 Like

The headline is rather misleading.

A more accurate assessment from John Gruber here:

Apple (and Signal, and WhatsApp) aren’t making threats here. They’re patiently explaining that E2EE messaging platforms cannot comply with what the U.K. wants to demand.

So I hate to break it to you, but it’s bye bye WhatsApp too. Maybe you missed this:

I’m the opposite to you though. Never used WhatsApp and never will. iMessage and Signal are what I use.

With all that said, I thought political discussions weren’t allowed on here? :thinking:

Google also uses end to end encryption with their messaging app so I doubt there are many people in the UK who won’t be impacted by this.

To be utterly honest, I wouldn’t care if they did withdraw. I’m not exactly communicating by any of those apps on a regular basis. Indeed it wouldn’t bother me if I didn’t talk to any of the people in my contacts list :rofl:

1 Like

Likewise.

I don’t see the harm in discussing proposed legislation. I think the idea was probably to prevent left vs right slanging matches.

2 Likes

You know, I’m not entirely sure if I’m supposed to feel sorrow for you, or happiness.

On the one hand, that kind of outlook seems kinda sad to me. On the other, it also seems really blissful.

I’m probably not that dissimilar from you in ideology, but texting is the only way I really make any meaningful social connections with friends and family, so I think I need it.

2 Likes

I’m going to throw in another “likewise” here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m actually unbelievably emotionally devoid in real life. That said, I do respect people and I’m the sort of bloke you’d rely on when the brown stuff hit the fan. I can quite happily be someone’s friend and then drop them like a brick without a thought. I might be an absolutely terrible person to some :laughing:

2 Likes

Thinking about it I’m in WhatsApp groups that I have muted as I have no interest in them so if they had to withdraw that would actually be great :joy:

I mostly use messenger which doesn’t seem to be end to end encrypted by default like most others.

We’ll all be using WeChat by next year, the only company not afraid to make a messenger in plain text

I’d rather use SMS.

1 Like

I was joking, if it wasn’t obvious

I wasn’t :rofl:

FB Messenger : The content of your messages and calls in an end-to-end encrypted chat is protected from the moment it leaves your device to the moment it reaches the receiver’s device .

Those aren’t the default.

Messenger conversations are generally not end to end encrypted, and messenger would be able to remain here as it already is compliant with the proposed law. They’d just need to disable the encrypted chat option for U.K. users.

But now we introduce another problem. How do they accurately identify and know when users are U.K. users?

None of my chats on messenger are end to end encrypted. You have to specifically create a chat that is end to end encrypted.

1 Like