Apple Wallet Open Banking integration

This is awesome. And potentially a Monzo Plus killer (if their recent changes haven’t killed it for you already).

It’s available to play with in the iOS 17.1 beta for those who want to have a try. Only Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, RBS, Monzo, and Starling are confirmed so far, but it’s possible there may be others, as HSBC and Monzo were only recently amended to the article.

2 Likes

Hopefully paving the way for Apple Card

1 Like

Hopefully! I’m thinking more Apple Pay Later though. It has that credit kudos acquisition tie in. This is also being run under their new fintech/bank subsidiary as well, so it certainly paves the way for their credit offerings.

Credit Kudos’s whole spiel was that it assessed credit worthiness based on open banking data. So this opens the door, not just for that, but for that entire process to be vetted on device (because your banking data exists only on your device, not on any Apple server) for a credit card, so you can be assessed for credit with no compromise to your privacy, unlike with other open banking vendors.

Someone over at the other place has access and has set it up with Monzo. Lots of screenshots and questions getting answered over there. Same on the 9to5 discord too.

Most excited I’ve ever been for a .1 update, that’s for sure. Almost tempted to keep my personal devices on the beta track for this.

3 Likes

Updating myself now, will also answer questions if anyone has any

I saw this coming a while back when they started building in fast track adding to Apple Wallet

I think the next is Apple tries to sell this as an app replacement for some banks

1 Like

Success :sparkles:

Starling all set up. As to how I’ll best utilise it… well - don’t really know as it stands. :thinking:

1 Like

Possibly. I know part of their plans is to try to become the front end user interface for banking, as opposed to actually being the bank and doing the banking themselves.

This is a good first step.

Do you have Chase? If so are you able to confirm if they’re supported?

They’re the only ones I want, really.

Edit: it doesn’t :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::broken_heart:

Yeah, they aren’t supported unfortunately. Child & Co didn’t work either but HSBC worked fine

1 Like

Odd, given that RBS are supported.

1 Like

I have tried this out today. It works with Lloyds, Halifax, RBS, Natwest, FirstDirect.
Those are the eligible accounts I have.
And in the Open banking consent it shows up as Apple Payments.

1 Like