Avoiding DCC (at least in Europe)

I have never used Apple or Google pay, so that’s not even in the equation. With Sweden, it was contactless every time. I’m struggling to remember what the process was in the U.S, though I suspect it was more than likely chip/pin. Egypt, again, probably chip/pin. I’ve also used the Starling debit card in Cape Verde and that was definitely chip and pin. But none of it seemed an issue to be honest.

Agreed, I’ve always found it a question without any pressure; in fact in the more touristy places, they normally assume you want to pay in Euros as they must have some understanding of the issue (and chargeback).

The thread is about whether there are techniques or accounts that can avoid it all together

Saying “no” seems to be an easy technique and requires no specific account …

Until recently (the last few years) contactless couldn’t invoke DCC, but nowadays it can. I’ve had lots of DCC requests, but never an issue with asking for the local currency.

1 Like

This is very true, and wasn’t in place /as clear when DCC first came out, and may have made more merchants behave better.

Appropo another thread - I’ve just fathomed why your energy bills are so low…… :thinking::rofl:

1 Like

And I forgot to mention Antigua :joy: we used the Starling card there too.

We’re due to go back to the Caribbean this coming September for a deferred holiday that we should have taken in September 2020 and of which we could have actually taken in September last year but deferred again because of the COVID restrictions still in place at our holiday destination. Some friends of ours who decided to go, ended up regretting it because it turned into an enormous hassle.

Anyway, we think Chase will be our preferred card partner for that trip :+1:

1 Like

We are going to Greece in summer - a village that we have visited previously.
The only issue we have had in the past is that at one of the hotels it does DCC without consent.

The only way I seemed to get around it last time was using a euro prepaid FairFX card. Monzo and starling both wanted to charge in pounds - yes I know it isn’t the Banks issue.

So this summer for my €2000 bill I may be making several trips to the ATM (€3 a transaction) or ask if I can make a bank transfer using my starling euro account.

I have had a few close calls in restaurants. It’s really the Euronet ATMs that are the worst they make you think your going mad by asking to pay in euros.

3 Likes

Is that actually legal?

It sounds to me like you’re in for a right faff :laughing:

Probably (I imagine it’ll depend on Greek law, so good luck fighting it in court anyway). But do a chargeback and you get your hotel bill for free. Sounds brilliant - I wish my hotel in Sharm El sheikh had done that :joy:

I doubt it (although difficult to enforce); it’s certainly against both Mastercard and Visa merchant rules (and technically Amex rules, on the basis they ban DCC completely), and I think there are EU regulations on this point too.

As @nanos says, a chargeback when you get home should result in the hotel bill being removed from your charges, although I’ve not actually heard a great success in the banks / credit card companies actually accepting the chargeback in the first place.

One positive that’s come out of these last few posts, is that at least I can now strike any future visits off to Greece :rofl: Mind you, last time I was actually physically in Greece, was back in 1994 I believe, and then it was just all cash payment anyway.

1995 Cash and travellers cheques :joy:

Well, in the light of this….

… and this….

… I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t revived the topic.

And there was me, hoping for a definitive “no sweat - here’s the answer” outcome. :flushed:

1 Like

If you are happy paying their 3% transaction fee and their exchange rate, using Amex will never incur DCC. The other alternative is to use a mobile wallet, as that seems better (no guarantee though).

As I’ve said before, a prepaid multi currency card from Mastercard will be exempt.

Out of interest, did you run your Fineco card through a bin checker to see if it comes up as UK or not?

Although slightly better than one of my first experiences of card use in Greece :greece:
3 failed transactions and had to pay in cash.
Logged on next day and 3 debits.
Thankfully the taverna said he would just give me cash there and then and was very apologetic - it had said timed out on the device apparently.

@Graham i have had lots of good experiences of using my phone or card to pay in Greece and had plenty of ease.

2 Likes

I was also in Uganda in December 2021. I was paying at supermarkets, gas stations, bars, restaurants, hotels with my Chase, Curve and Wise cards and no one at any point asked me if I wanted to pay in GBP. It was always local currency UGX.
I only saw the currency thing at an ATM from one specific bank, other two bank ATMs could notice that the Chase card was foreign but could say they will charge me in local currency and let my bank handle the rest

1 Like

Just did - UK unfortunately.

So then Graham, maybe it’s time to look outside of Europe for a holiday? Or even a staycation? If you do that though, please don’t come anywhere near my part of the world as it just causes unnecessary traffic chaos :rofl:

Of course.

Your postcode again…….?:thinking: