Avoiding DCC (at least in Europe)

The SouthWest of course Graham, or is that too generic? :rofl:

I’ll be back down the M5 again on Sunday :grimacing:

Thankfully, it appears to have quietened down a bit now the Easter lot have buggered off back to wherever they came from.

Enjoy your trip down the M5!!

Can the world survive us too being close to each other? :rofl: I have went over a good portion of the South West recently

Actually, you do seem like the type to live in the town I’m in currently :thinking:

Don’t rely on not being offered DCC even in a euro denominated Starling card. Their systems take it from the BIN of the card, and not the currency on the card. I had it with Caxton and FairFX cards, both of which (at the time) were euros only.

" is this just an attempt to rip off unwitting U.K card holders?"

Indubitably

I think one of your challenges will be finding an ATM that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for a withdrawal (I don’t know where you’re off to).

Belgium.

Strange, I hadn’t given much thought to using an ATM. I fleetingly considered using my Revolut card fir that purpose.

I’ve got away with paying £0 in fees for withdrawing cash (also in Berlin @riceuten) but primarily by using banks. The one there didn’t even ask the trickster conversion questions.

1 Like

You live in Birmingham don’t you? Why not pop along to Birmingham Airport and pull a load of Euros out of one of the Euro dispensing ATM’s there using your Starling card and just take a load of cash with you? Probably highly impractical and I’m just shooting off really :rofl:

Yes. My understanding, though, is that drawing a shed-load out of airport ATMs is bad practice - ie., you get it right up the wotsit :flushed::rofl:

I’m heading out to Kos in about a month’s time. What would be the recommended set up then? Starling is my main account. Not been outside of the UK since 2012, but a belated honeymoon (thanks COVID) seemed like a good excuse…

Plan B then, swap Belgium for Bermuda. Having been to both, Bermuda numerous times, I can assure you it’s a nicer place to visit and I’m sure you wouldn’t get stuffed in the wotsit on DCC there :woozy_face:

Ok. I’m obliged.

Here’s how it plays out, then….

“Clive (my brother) - you know the Channel Tunnel ticket you’ve booked…?”

“What with amendments being free and all, can you swap Calais for er… Bermuda?”

Job’s a good ‘un. :rofl:

I’m massively behind the curve on all this Euro stuff, mostly because I just never visit Europe anymore, but I thought Revolut and the like were the cards for folks like you? or perhaps I’ve just got the wrong end of the stick on how those sorts of cards/accounts works :face_with_monocle:

And here was me thinking this thread was petering out….:rofl::joy:

:flushed: So Plan B, then? (Not going to work is it?)

Absolutely Plan B all day long. I can highly recommend Grotto Bay Beach Resort. Belgium just doesn’t come close :laughing:

It’s a bl**dy sight closer……:rofl:

1 Like

But Graham, Belgium is so miserable :laughing:

Anyway, enjoy being busted for DCC, though to be honest, I’m starting to believe this isn’t going to be the issue folks keep making out. Just check each transaction before payment surely?

The Birmingham airport atms are Travelex and charge about £4

And there it is, in a nutshell……

I wasted a whole weekend worrying myself stupid. :blush: