Avoiding DCC (at least in Europe)

… and afterwards too! Worth asking for a receipt each time (which will confirm the currency used). Also, best to utilise a card with instant notifications, especially if it’s good at showing the currency.

As I’ve said, most of the time you won’t have any problems at all, but for most people there doesn’t seen to be a guaranteed way to avoid DCC on every transaction.

2 Likes

Chase due 1% cashback. Don’t worry about DCC as it’s only an academic issue.

I forgot to mention I also used my Starling card in Dubai in 2019. Again there, absolutely no issue regarding DCC, I paid for something at the main reception desk at the hotel there and it just got charged in local currency. You are of course right, instant notifications turned on for Starling card, a must in my opinion

1 Like

German banks seem quite good for not charging you for withdrawals. As Germany in some cases can be quite card averse, I would be hacked off if the banks there charged like they charge in Greece or Spain - at least the latter seem quite happy to accept cards (DCC notwithstanding)

Thanks Stephen.

1 Like

Check the receipt though, as I was charged in GBP after I selected EUR on the machine in a restaurant - I suspect that he switched it back after I gave him the machine back. The restaurant claimed it was “automatic” and “they couldn’t override it”. I demanded a refund of the transaction and paid in EUR cash. Most people either wouldn’t’ve noticed or wouldn’t’ve made a fuss.

Sure. I’ll keep an eye out. :relieved:

You beat me to it. The charge largely negates the advantage of not pulling it out abroad.

Graham, please, please tell us your passport is all in order? i.e. it’s got at least six months left on it and those six months are not added months from when you last renewed it? Otherwise, you’ll be going no where fast :laughing:

That was the main thing I had to sort out before I went to Sweden last December, I had six months remaining on the passport, but those six months were extra months added from my old passport and would have rendered me unable to travel. So many people apparently being caught out by this at the moment.

And the lengthy delays in renewing - topping 10 weeks for some.

1 Like

The “no passport older than a decade” clause?

In Greece for every 1 DCC I’ve experienced probably about 10-15 normal transactions.

I think on the whole you will be fine.
I remember fondly when the Greek ATM charges first came in and I had a FairFX card. With that I could take €600 in one go. Helped keep atm charges down.

I’m taking 1/4 cash with me. Take 1/4 cash out and rest on card unless DCC has spread.

2 Likes

I do find it amusing that Brits assume that DCC would be setup to catch them out.

Most European tourists will been transacting wholly in Euro so it isn’t even a consideration.

? I imagine it’s to catch out tourists in general; DCC won’t apply to like 90% of EU/EEA countries

It certainly is in some areas - ripping off US/Canadian/Aus/NZ tourists as well as Brits. Very much like EuroNet cash machines.

Not everyone will have a forex free card; therefore DCC isn’t always a bad deal.

It’s been poorly implemented but hardly a scam nor does it target nationalities.

It all depends on the exchange rate you are being offered, but the likelihood of it being (very) poor is (very) high

2 Likes

I’d argue that I’ve never seen a bank charge more in a fee than you’d be charged at a EuroNET or similar ATM

EuroNet’s trick is to get you to swap at an appalling exchange rate - money you are charged by the machine to withdraw from a locally denominated account in the same currency are by the by.

It’s a direct relationship to underlying card. For me, it’s usually not worthwhile but when a colleague’s USD Debit card charged 5% - it was more borderline.

Not everyones Use Case is the same as you nor is DCC targeting directly at English people which you seem to think.