Changes to Starling "Spaces"

I don’t seem to have this update yet unless it’s android?

Looks like an obvious issues bug though, they should have caught that

1 Like

Yeah, it’s on Android. These are the type of bugs that really infuriate me… the obvious ones that should be caught in any sort of rudimentary test process.

1 Like

On the plus side, the transaction history that they’ve added to spaces is a big bonus. The lack of any breakdown of transactions was one of the reasons I stopped using my Starling account.

1 Like

Yikes! That’s worse than I imagined! :grimacing:

Any chance it’s just a bug?

It looks to me like they’ve just redesigned the screen but not considered how the text looks on various images. Pretty sloppy :confused: I’ve tweeted them and got the standard, “thanks for the feedback, we’ll pass it on”.

3 Likes

Yes it’s not on iOS the going in and out of funds in spaces yet.

The posts relating to the importance of accessibility for customers have been moved here…

4 Likes

My app updated yesterday. I seem to have a slight gradient on the spaces images now, which is better than what it was

Didn’t realise it until I looked back at your screenshots above, but the text seems to sit on the bottom bow rather than through the middle

3 Likes

Yes, they appear to have added a dark-to-light gradient running from bottom to top, so the text is always visible now.

4 Likes

The process of withdrawing from spaces, then doing whatever you’re going to do with the money seems to take ages. I’d like to be able to send money directly from spaces to a payee.

3 Likes

What changes have been made to spaces? Recently being allowed to open a new Starling account after making the mistake of leaving last year. Really glad to be back with them, but haven’t had the chance to use the spaces again yet.

The layout within Spaces has been updated, and each Goal now has its own transaction list. Adding and subtracting money from a Goal is now more traditional, and less animated.

1 Like

What do you mean by this exactly?

Did it used to have fancy eye candy animations and now it doesn’t? I.E. less gamification? If so that’s a shame IMO. I love little touches like that.

1 Like

I don’t use Spaces so I’m not sure what they’ve done and how it compares with before. However, many people are complaining about the changes in the iOS App Store.

Essentially, Spaces work as they always have. You can move money out of your main balance into a separate “pot”. You earn interest on your overall account balance, including Spaces. Also, any money in Spaces is considered if you’re overdrawn, e.g. if your main balance is -£50 but you have £75 in a Space, you won’t incur interest.

The changes they have made are mostly aesthetic and how you move money into and out of Spaces has also changed. Personally, I don’t like the changes and much prefer the old look and how money moved in and out.

4 Likes

Although many have criticised the Starling app, I have always liked it’s simplicity.
I do find the extra info (transaction lists, etc) unnecessary.

Just my own thoughts, I expect others do like the extra features.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have minded them adding recent transactions to the Spaces screen, though it’s not something I’d personally find useful. What I really don’t like is moving money in and out - it used to be so simple, now it’s an extra screen with extra clicks, just looks awful.

3 Likes

The redesign allows you to add a note and/or an attachment to a Space transaction (just as you can for most regular transactions). It’s something that wasn’t possible before and could be useful for all sorts of reasons.

The redesign also brings a “transfer” button to add or withdraw money from a Space. The default action is to add money. Previously you had two distinct buttons to add or withdraw. Personally I think the new layout is preferable (and when adding money doesn’t increase user touches at all).

3 Likes

Just created a space and did a transfer, and I didn’t mind it too much. I do wonder if the transaction list is for a forthcoming feature? I notice paying direct debits from spaces is highly requested via social media so maybe It could be preparation for something like that.

2 Likes

You’re probably right that this is in preparation for a bigger change to Spaces, such as the ability to make payments directly from them.

3 Likes