Chase UK Discussion

JP Morgan Chase have also done themselves no favours in the past few years.

For the (small?) number who care, they have upset:

a) football fans in the UK by backing the proposed European Super League.

b) those in favour of Brexit due to various statements by its CEO, both before and after the referendum - and threatened to move their operations out of the UK several times.

1 Like

I’ve felt like that a bit lately, it feels as though they are trying to manage expectations downwards with a few controlled leaks.

I still want an account, just to collect the card though. I have what @Graham (I think) calls the “collectomania”.

5 Likes

I know, and not to get too political here, but it was interesting that he kicked up such a fuss over Brexit and then:

1. failed to move operations like he said they would and then

2. launched “European Chase” first in the U.K. and described it as a “beachhead” for a wider European launch!

I believe David Cameron also publicly said later that it was a mistake to get Obama to tell Brits to vote Remain as people don’t like being told what to do. He was right, I think!

5 Likes

Like I’m ever going to let an American tell me what to do :rofl: except of course when I’m stood at Fort Lauderdale airport and I’m being told to stand in front of a retinal scanner and then have my fingerprints taken if I want to have a holiday there, then of course, that’s perfectly ok :+1:

3 Likes

I wonder at the wisdom of making customer service the main selling point of a bank account.

If you’re fabulously rich with one of those “look at me” private accounts, I can see the attraction (though I’d expect to have an accountant to do all the heavy lifting, anyway).

For the commoner, and me in particular, customer service is something I expect to not need except for that very rare occasion. And anyway, don’t crow about it - just provide it as a given.

Attract me instead, with an interesting app, easy on boarding and a card which I can immediately stick on Apple/ GooglePay.

Give me a pretty card if you must, but for the reason given above, I’ll not be looking at it much. And I’ll let others discuss its relative merits in the appropriate thread…:blush:

Now let’s be having it. We’ll judge it fairly but with it having been so long in the planning, there’s no excuse for a half-hearted offering.

Over to you, Chase UK :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

It’s crazy to me that anyone ever thought that Europe’s financial capital would ever falter

Betting against Britain isn’t normally something I’d say is a good idea

4 Likes

3 Likes

Have you seen the news lately?

3 Likes

How will people know that Chase can “answer and fix” any problems they might have? They are hardly going to take Chase’s word for it, because good service isn’t really a selling point. First Direct have won every customer service survey and poll for years, but they are still a tiny bank even compared to their own parent, HSBC. When you include the other major banks First Direct are just a tiddler.

Bad experiences are more likely to persuade someone to leave their bank, than good service is to attract them. But how many people really have a bad experience with their bank? I have accounts with several different banks, but I never have to contact them, so I haven’t a clue what their customer service is like. The last time I contacted a bank was Barclays, three years ago, when I had a problem with their app, but this was sorted out quickly via in-app chat.

Even when they experience bad service, few people change banks. Instead, they moan and groan, but carry on as they are. People are more likely to switch banks for a joining bonus (i.e. bribe) or other benefits such as interest on their current account, but this turns them into serial switchers who will be off again once a different bank offers something better. Or, they will end up with multiple current accounts (like Seb and me) which skews the figures and makes them unreliable.

2 Likes

Probably only Farage News or whatever it’s called ….

3 Likes

I agree, it’s a fascinating psychological phenomenon that people simply don’t switch banks like they do, say, electricity providers. I know there is a problem with switching not being at the level regulators would like even in the case of utilities, but a much higher proportion of customers do at least consider switching them.

Many people, in contrast, seem to regard switching bank as a major undertaking (like moving house) even though it really isn’t. This means any new entrant to the market has their work cut out from day one, and even the “successful” fintechs don’t have great main account metrics (so people don’t necessarily switch to them, but use them as companion or spending accounts with the “comfort blanket” of their old high street account alongside).

If Chase are serious about wanting to pick up market share, they probably will have to offer a switch incentive, but then as you say that just risks attracting the “wrong type” of (fickle) customer.

2 Likes

I have to admit, I’ve had more problems with parcel delivery companies than I’ve ever had with banks.

The worst customer service I ever had with a bank, was with Lloyds when I fell victim back in 2012 to identity fraud, most likely as a result of my debit card being skimmed. Lloyds were quite honestly utterly crap the way they dealt with my situation.

Several years before that, I had a Barclaycard credit card skimmed and it was used for multiple purchases all over the UK when I was at the time, in the USA. Barclaycard were absolutely on the ball, they contacted me within hours of what was happening, stopped the card, refunded it and they gave me £25 for the inconvenience.

2 Likes

Yes, we’re seeing lots of investment into the U.K., we’re recovering from the pandemic well, we just signed AUKUS with Australia/USA, we have a strikingly impressive new air carrier that’s recently been going around SEA and we’re implementing many reforms to the way we handle our domestic life (such as the policing bill and a warning to universities that they shouldn’t be policing unpopular opinions). I’ve also noticed that they seem to be increasing funding for STEM subjects and just also recently signed something with relation to climate change and space agencies (although I can’t remember the exact thing, I think it’s monitoring) as a lead.

Don’t bet against Britain, you’ll start missing some teeth in time.

It a all doom and gloom for some reason with the HGV driver rubbish etc: that already existed before Brexit. Used to work with a trucker, salaries were always going on up and up because of the simple fact that the job sucks and there’s always a shortage

Personally I’m a big proponent of the way the government is taking us. Free trade and an expansionist mindset is how Britain became Great Britain (please don’t take this literally, thanks). We need to do better always.

I’m also a massive proponent of buying British wherever possible, so I would suggest I’d shortages of anything bother you maybe it’s time to switch to a domestic brand? It’s time we tried putting a stop to the major trade deficit with countries like the US/China

3 Likes

Without being a killjoy, we’re at risk of derailing the topic. We’ve all been guilty of it, but getting into politics isn’t really what the thread is about :+1:

4 Likes

I do not like Farage and have pretty much written GBNews off since it has become mini-fox with a bunch of anti-establishment memeposting 24/7.

1 Like

Thanks, @Topsy2. Let’s leave the politics out and develop the Chase UK theme, please.

2 Likes

This account just adopted the Chase branding today. It’s happening!

3 Likes

You would think they would have bought out the chaseuk twitter handle user as well, to save confusion… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I honestly think I must be the least excited about this impending Chase startup :laughing:

I’ve been having an obvious gander through the other fintech forums and there’s quite the excited buzz. I can feel the avid card collectors clamouring for yet another debit card. Fair play, if that’s what folks want, then why not. I wish Chase well, but I’m wondering if there really is more room for another digital bank when 7 out of 10 banking customers in the UK are still voluntarily handcuffed to one of the big four and have little desire to change.

4 Likes

One could wonder if that’s because the existing challengers have failed to capitalise on the drawbacks of the incumbents. We have a healthy number of banks, granted, but none of them quite feel like the right bank to me yet. There’s too much of all trying to be the same thing that already exists, just better, and not enough trying to do something new and engaging.

Aside from Chase, Monzo is the only other one exciting me right now. Starling feels stagnant of late, and Revolut’s trying to do too much that it’s overwhelming.

3 Likes