Co-operative Bank £125 Refer-a-friend

Yes. Still an easy £125 tho.

It wasn’t. That was my point.

They don’t like paying up.

Good luck to those that try!

1 Like

What difficulties did you have? The only issues my referals have had was delays completing the switch, particularly after Christmas.

The only rejections I’m aware of were due to the flimsy way they had worded the exclusion preventing you from closing an account and opening a new one, which they have now closed the door on with the exclusion on any customers since November.

The incompetence encountered when the person I referred applied for an account. Five days to request ID, confirmation it received, then nothing :man_shrugging: Every time they rang co-op to find out what was going on, they were just told it was with the Review Team. Three months on, still no open account, and still no decision either way. Now, of course, they have changed the eligibility requirement too, and, based on their experience so far, there is no way my referred person is going to jump through additional hoops now, assuming they could :man_shrugging::clap:

1 Like

Hard luck. I’d be surprised if they didn’t allow the claim to be honest since the hold up was their side.

Get them to get a complaint in, I would.

One of my lovely referrals had to provide ID. I advised them to ignore the guidance they were given on returning it by post and go to a branch with ID and see if they’d help. Account was opened the day after a branch visit, and we both received our payments even though the date advised at the time had long since passed.

1 Like

I had 1.5k paid out - with only one switch facing a hitch which was user error

Echoes the sentiment at the other place too.

They had a nice little chain of referrals going but quite a few folks there had problems with it to the point they don’t think it’s worth doing now it’s back. Especially with more hurdles.

I liked how @anon47616136 summed up its return:

Just @anon47616136 no? Not sure one user’s view is “the sentiment”. The complaints are (I think) to do with people deemed to have already taken part in the offer. I’m not pretending that’s justifiable - it isn’t, but the fact remains that ambiguity is gone now.

I’ve guided two dozen or so people through the process, either here, elsewhere online, or in person, and every single one had their payment. I don’t think any of them are actually using the account, except my mother (because it’s handy for her to have an account the same place as my Dad, apparently). £125 for an hour’s work (tops!), including the time to apply, set up a couple of throwaway DDs and make 5 debit card transactions, is a good return I reckon.

No. Including myself, there’s at least three of us (four if you count @Breezy here) who are feeling that way. If you take the time to scroll back through the thread and have a look at some other threads about it from last time, you’ll see quite a few people say it’s not worth it. There’s nothing which suggests to me it’ll be any better this time around; quite the opposite in fact.

Some haven’t been paid yet at all, including both myself and folks I know, and we’ve spent far longer than an hour trying to deal with a whole myriad of problems and now awaiting the involvement of the FOS, like a few folks over there have experienced as well.

Of course the complaints are going to come from the people who’ve tried it. The people who haven’t have no idea the sort of maelstrom that awaits. Can’t complain about a process you have no experience of.

I’ll never go near them again, and I don’t even want my £125 at this point. Just sucks for my friend who never got their share for referring me either.

I’m biased though. I wouldn’t refer anyone even if I liked it.

And you were a brand new customer, held no accounts before November 1st?

Never banked with co-op (nor smile) in my life.

Had been considering it for a while though as being the next best free thing to Triodos, as someone recommended a while ago when i was looking for an alternative.

1 Like

Ah that is rotten luck in that case then, you’re the first case I’ve heard of where they haven’t paid out to totally new customers who weren’t declined. The good news is that as fintech functionality goes they are very primitive, so it’s not likely to be something you would actually be happy actually using.

Doesn’t make it right that you (and your referrer) haven’t been paid, as was the deal, tho.

1 Like

Thought I’d come back to this to share an update.

The ombudsman have upheld my complaint. Said co op must pay me the switch bribe in addition to £75 compensation. My friend will need to make their own complaint to get theirs, since they can only decide if I’ve been treated fairly, not them.

Thought this nightmare saga with co op is over? Not even close. They’ve disagreed with the decision, and so on it goes. :pensive:

1 Like

What are Co-op’s grounds for disagreeing!?

They disagree that I fulfilled the criteria to be eligible for the reward, and so they shouldn’t have to pay it, or the compensation, since if I’m not eligible, the poor customer service I received as a result wasn’t poor and didn’t treat me unfairly, though the case handler determined that completely separate from whether or not I should have got the £125.

It took them a while to respond to the decision though, and they missed the deadline for it by 3 days. But I think it goes to the ombudsman if they miss the deadline anyway.

The long-running offer finishes on 15th December:

You should still be able to benefit so long as you apply by the 15th, and then fulfill the criteria within 60 days.

Eff me. they’ve just added pending transactions into their app. we are truly living in the future now!

How did it go with smile?