Credit Card or Debit Card?

Just curious to find out if people use a credit card or debit card for day to day spending? I’ve started to use my Virgin Atlantic credit card for absolutely everything now to rack up my points.
Have a good weekend everyone.

• Credit Card
  • Debit Card

0 voters

Debit for day to day, but only really because we don’t have any decent fintech credit offerings to rival the debit experience from the likes of Revolut and Monzo.

There are plenty in the BNPL area, and those can be a great alternative to a traditional credit for when you need section 75, but not so much for the day to day.

When we eventually get Apple Card, or even something else that’s similar, my day to spending will probably go back to credit.

Debit. I think I’m slightly better at budgeting when everything is in and out of one account.

I often wonder whether I just get a grip and hammer the cash back. I’ve done it before but I think i spent slightly more overall safe in the knowledge that I wouldn’t have to pay for stuff until a month or so later.

I think AmEx feels quite good to use tbh and, if Jaja is a thing yet it may be what you’re looking for

Amex is legacy AF, and not the most customer friendly these days, fees on foreign transactions too (a biggie for me). Jaja sucks.

Honestly, the closest half decent thing right now is Monzo Flex following the recent update. There is nothing else unless you live in London.

I’ll probably eventually swap my Barclaycard platinum for the rewards card and settle on that, but don’t see that becoming my daily spending card either.

Use the credit card for practically everything since the EU interchange caps came in - points, interest free buffer, dual S75/chargeback protections and free extended warranty on electrical items.

Debit only used for Cashpoint or money type transactions e.g. lottery tickets.

1 Like

What’s available in London that’s not available elsewhere?

Introducing Yonder: a credit card that rewards with experiences (headforpoints.com)

(It’s gimmicky and vapid AF, IMO.)

4 Likes

Vapid. Great word. R-

Hell, if they extended the partners to places you’d more frequently go in London that card would be pretty dangerous. Especially if the insurance terms are decent

I’d probably sign up if they’d include Selfridges :’)

It shows what sort of rewards are possible if your redemption partners are willing to foot some of the bill. I’d hoped this was the model we’d see on the new Asda rewards card but alas the wait for an >1% catch-free rewards credit card continues.

I’ve been considering switching to a credit card spend/budgeting model.

How do we manage this? Just set an upper ceiling for the month?

1 Like

That’s one way. Just make sure the ceiling is safely below your income minus bills, direct debits, standing orders etc.

What sort of model do you use currently?

There’s a danger of overthinking the budgeting process. As @N26throwaway says, have a clear picture of regular payments (and when). The rest, by definition is yours to spend / save.

It goes without saying (:face_with_raised_eyebrow:) that paying anything less than the full balance each month bodes ill……:flushed:

2 Likes

Well presently the salary comes into Revolut. I move x amount to another account to account purely for the small purchases I make when I’m out at work (currently Triodos). Our joint account covers all of the household bills so X is sent there. So, I’m then left with X in Revolut which covers two personal DDs - the rest of which is split between savings and remaining spending money.

I suppose the credit card would just need to cover the remaining spend - perhaps merging all spend through it (not bothering with the part budget for when I’m at work) and leaving the remaining part attaining interest rather than waiting to be spent?

It’s then a case of when you pay off the credit card? Do you use the previous months salary or wait until the next?

My two credit cards are both paid in full. I have one that’s just for FX back up when abroad but that wouldn’t be used for this.

1 Like

Why?

In my opinion the main reasons to use credits cards are cashback/points, section 75, and deposits.

If you’re hoping for better budgeting, I don’t think credit cards help. Perhaps exception is use for work expenses (so you an claim back before you need to spend your own money).

1 Like

Agreed. A big risk with using a credit card for general spending is the disconnect between available funds and outgoings.

That’s not a problem if you’re routinely all over the detail. If you’re not…you’ve suddenly and inexplicably (:smirk:) got a bill you’ll struggle to pay.

1 Like

We have a joint credit card but we don’t use it unless we think S75 might be needed. No big outgoings then on settlement day! R-

Well I’m certainly all over the detail (prob too much lol) and tbh the interest just comes from wanting to try out different methods of budgeting

I remember a famous US ex fraud con saying debit cards were the biggest leg up to criminals and it’s crazy that anyone would debit their own money when they could spend the banks and have their funds bearing interest…

But it’s not something I’ve ever pursued.

Would you not view the credit figure owed going up in the same way as you’d view a debit balance going down? The available funds are just sat in the background?