Curve Card

Yeah, makes it pretty useless for me.

Only two cards :thinking: Why bother?

I used it for minimum of three.

Perhaps ditch my Tesco card off it, but needed it to use Barclaycard through Google Pay.

Might just carry Barclaycard, but I also used it on apps where Chase card failed to work directly.

I see it has its own thread now

https://fintechforum.uk/t/pricing-changes/1424

1 Like

Someone should merge

Good call. Let’s bring the pricing chat over here.

I’m guessing a few of us have had this email today from Curve

Since starting Curve, we’ve rebelled against the impossible to give you more freedom and control over your money. That won’t change. But there is an economic storm brewing, and we’ve had to relook at how we price Curve. We’ve switched up our subscription tiers so we can deliver more of what matters to you in the future – faster payments, sharper insights, greater savings and ultimately, total control over your financial life.

What’s changing?

Curve will still be free, but we’re introducing limits to the free Curve card:

• Set 1 Smart Rule
  • Add up to 2 payment cards
  • Go Back in Time 3 times per month

Only customers with a premium subscription will be able to add a commercial card. You can still Go Back in Time for up to 30 days, and spend abroad fee-free up to £1000/month.

Why’s it happening?

We’ve always promised to be upfront and transparent with our customers. You can read more from our founder and CEO, Shachar Bialick on the reasons behind the changes in the blog below.

READ THE BLOG

When’s it happening?

Changes to the free Curve card will come into effect 60 days from the date this email was sent. All changes described here will be reflected in our Terms and Subscription Schedules

3 Likes

So, to my understanding, I presently have about 20 cards linked to Curve, so either I or they will delete 18 of them, unless I sign up for £120 pa Curve Black. Or 15 of them if I sign up for Curve X (a snip at £60pa ;-)).

This sounds like desperate stuff to be honest. “There is an economic storm brewing”. I don’t see how this will help.

The free tier is now very similar to Currensea (which allows 2 cards which you can swap between). I think there’s this assumption that people will be so keen to retain the card, they will be prepared to pay for it. Er, no.

I think, like Tandem and their “paid for” credit card with miserable cash back, this proposition will crash and burn and that will be that.

2 Likes

The limit of 2 active cards is a big one. I’ve no idea what the average card count is for Curve users, but half a dozen doesn’t sound extravagant - probably more.

GBIT has always been a game-saver in the past for me - and a real feature. Limiting to three a month will surely pose problems for those used to the bail-out it offers.

A definite nudge towards a paid-tier. Maybe it was always coming.

(I’ll get by without though).

I’ll survive either on the free tier, or simply without tbh.

Got 60 days of use, though not got email yet.

No real impact on me - my main use of Curve is to facilitate Garmin Pay and to enable use of rewards credit card on foreign spending without fx fees. Don’t really need to be able to connect more than 2 cards.

I reckon this is the beginning of the end for Curve. Very poor.

1 Like

Not a good way to go forward I think.

I remember Tandem expecting their customer numbers to reduce when they went “paid only” - I presume they didn’t expect them to completely disappear…

1 Like

Ugh what a ball-ache. Guess I’ll just use it as a way of using my Barclaycard on Google and Samsung Pay moving forward

It was really handy as a workaround to pay my Amex bill over multiple underlying Halifax debit cards… guess I’ll have to figure a new way around that one.

I give it 3 months with this arrangement. The marketing people will have told them it will fly

Just taken a look at the response on Curve’s community forum…….Not surprisingly, many of the faithful are feeling aggrieved.

GBIT restrictions seem to figure as less of a deal-breaker than the card reduction to 2 on the free tier.

As someone’s pointed out there, Curve will have all the data on size of Curve wallets and frequency of GBIT usage and will surely have done their homework on just how it might affect existing customers.

But it’ll surely be less of a draw for new customers. “All your cards in one” sounds rather hollow now.

3 Likes

I agree. If you can only link 2 cards, and tend to carry Curve and a back up card anyway, where’s the advantage :man_shrugging:

Just carry two bank cards instead.

2 Likes

And as others point out, Apple & Google Pay aren’t card limited in this way.

Strange business decision?

We shall see……

How does this work?

1 Like

Which bit?

I think I mentioned this back on the old place, but I’d like to reiterate that Curve has genuinely never had an appealing USP besides maybe GBIT. Every other feature is half-baked.

The offers are from my experience, new user only or an exceedingly small amount back in a not-redeemable for cash currency (a meme). The “hold my cards in one” never mattered for any cards applicable to Apple/Google Pay (unless you routinely carry 12+ cards, which is I believe the limit on the later iPhone models; not sure about Android), I guess it also helped with Barclays, too. The cashback rewards were paid for the longer term, you’d have to be a decently big spender to ever recoup a decent amount from your 3-6 merchants. There are far better alternatives to the FX element, of which even the large banks used to beat (not sure if that’s still true) on weekends for certain currencies (if over the exceedingly small FX allowance for free users).

The only way Curve was ever going to work is by selling gold dust, of which the only gold dust they hold is data, which they’ve categorically ruled out against selling.

Like, they don’t need to sell it to Google. They just need to acquire Flux, integrate it into everywhere possible major bank wise and into Curve itself, make all the functionality (of Curve) possible, free and then sell access to every ounce of data they can.

Like, the receipt data from all places Flux is integrated paired with Curve having a greater ability to look at more in-depth spend (having things like locations etc) could sell a super real map to advertisers, it could single-handedly replace Facebook Advertising.

Instead of shooting at a randomly assigned rough guess by Facebook, they can tell me that the person has shopped at H&B at 13.45 on a Tuesday afternoon, every Tuesday for the last year, based on that they can infer that the person either has their day off on the Tuesday and is interested in health foods or supplements. That lets them sell FitnessPal or Gym adverts directly into your app (via a discount, which could be sold to the customer via UI), which they’d charge for.

It’s so frustrating to watch Curve continue to fail in every way possible. They actively discourage spending at every T&C update lol

2 Likes