Does your assigned branch matter?

If not, why are they still connecting individual branches with their own sort code?

Just been wondering this because my account with Lloyds is assigned to a branch in London when i’m 200 miles away. I opened it online (years ago) and had to go to my local branch to complete ID etc - but i wasn’t assigned to that branch? Does anyone know why they did it this way?

It doesn’t make much of a difference to me because i’ve only ever gone into the branch to pay in cash since opening, and i haven’t always used my local one.

I dont think an assigned branch matters I think it’s the one nearest to where you live if you sign up online. It used to be the branch you joined if you did it in there.

3 Likes

Yep. It has no impact on management of you account. Ask anyone who opened a Child & Co current account :face_with_raised_eyebrow::blush:

6 Likes

It’s definitely not my nearest one, i have one less than 2 miles away!

2 Likes

My Lloyds sort code is for a branch seven miles away, despite there being two other branches closer. However, the first two characters of my post code match my assigned branch, whereas the nearer branches have postcodes with different initial characters. This leads me to think that Lloyds are looking at the postcode similarities, rather than geographical distance.

3 Likes

Something weird with my account then, i’m in the SA postcode area and my assigned branch is in the W area. There are plenty of branches within the SA postcode (big coverage) so it’s really confusing…

1 Like

I don’t know then. Maybe they’re just allocating sort codes randomly now? Perhaps the SA sort codes are getting full, and the W sort codes have plenty of available accounts? Or it could just be a blip in the system.

If you go back 30 or 40 years your sort code was important because there were certain transactions that you could only carry out at your own branch. These days it doesn’t matter at all because most transactions are carried out centrally and all branches are the same.

The existing sort codes are just a hangover from the old system and it would be too expensive and complicated to change it. It works fine, so why should banks bother to change it?

I think Barclays only allocate branches if you open your account in a branch. I applied online and my sort code is for “Direct Banking 5”.

Nationwide and Santander sort codes have never been branch specific, they just open a new sort code when the old ones get full up.

1 Like

It’s not an issue for me, i’m just curious :see_no_evil:

It’s weird that when i open a savings account, it’s assigned to a completely different branch :man_shrugging: - unlike HSBC for example, where everything is linked to my ‘home’ branch.

Interestingly though, my mother opened an extra current account at Lloyds and has been assigned to the same branch in the W postcode - despite her having a local branch on the rest of her accounts and having been a customer since ‘86…

That’s actually a good question – when opening a second account, do banks assign you to the same branch as your first account; or just allocate one willy-nilly?

So if one wanted a C&Co branded joint account, could one just get a second account opened in-app, or would that result with an RBS sort code in Aberdeen?

Generally they do, although you sometimes might end up with a different sort code. Examples where this would be more likely would be if the existing sort code was full (or close to full), the new account was opened in a branch with a different assigned sort code, or that you deliberately select a different code (which you can sometimes do).

Regarding Child & Co specifically, the answer to that is also yes - my allocated sort code is the Child & Co one, so now even when I open a new account online it defaults to Child & Co. A while ago I opened a Digital Regular Saver, for example, and that has the same sort code and comes with Child & Co statements.

2 Likes

When I opened my Lloyds and Halifax accounts (for the switching incentives) neither gave me the chance to pick a branch and both allocated me one that had no connection that I could see. Both have been switched out now anyway.

Many of the banks have all centralised sort codes or have quasi-centralised sort codes that they use only for internet/telephone applications.

2 Likes

My Lloyd’s account opening face me a sort code near me with no choice. Barclays gave me a random online one no choice again. RSB and TSB face me a choice when opening on sort codes.

1 Like

My Nat West sort code (opened online) is for a branch in a nearby town, not the town in which I live.

I barely use the account but received a call just before Christmas from somebody at the branch wanting to arrange a Zoom call to see if they could help with my finances (i.e. sell me products) which I declined.

1 Like

Can confirm, my new digital regular saver came with the 15-80-00 SC. Do paperless statements also have the Marygold logo or do I have the option to switch to paper statements somewhere that I can’t see?

Similarly with any of those who signed up for a simple RBS account online which was all done through their Edinburgh office. Since opening the account, I’ve had customer service letters from Chatham in Kent, my sort code is apparently one linked to the Liverpool Long Eaton Branch. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever and is in all probability, totally unimportant to the every day running of one’s account.

Same for Nationwide, signed up online, sort code is one allocated from Swindon. Only stepped into a Nationwide branch about 5 times since opening the account in 2007.

Not once yet ever stepped foot inside a RBS branch and I’ve no intention of ever doing so.

1 Like

Yes, the same sort code as other Child & Co products.

Just as with the current account, online statements are standard RBS ones but if you change them to paper statements they come on the marigold-headed paper.

1 Like

Ah, do I need to look on the online banking interface? Can’t see the option in app

Yes, I think so (from memory).

I don’t think they allow you to switch off paperless via the app.

1 Like

All Nationwide sort codes are allocated centrally, they’ve never been branch specific.

1 Like

Ditto for Santander, Virgin Money and First Direct plus all the new fintechs (which generally only use one sort code each, so far).

1 Like