Dogs Trust Debit Card by Currensea

Not sure how this went unnoticed in the fintech circles I’m apart of. Launched over a month ago but I only just saw it today.

Interesting idea. I wonder if it’s something other charities will copy. I can see it being fairly popular among folks who like to support Dogs Trust and want to be able to do so passively without actually costing them anything.

I used to have a Cats Protection credit card - I think it was MBNA.

1 Like

Pretty sure Dogs Trust used to have an MBNA credit card too. Not sure why MBNA stopped them.

Now you’re talking - I’m a DT supporter, so I’ll be pleased to pursue it. Thanks for the heads-up, @N26throwaway .

2 Likes

Same reason they ditched all their co-branded cards; the rewards (or donations in the case of the charity ones) were all funded via interchange commission (reduced to a share of 0.3% since the cap was introduced).

1 Like

They had a whole series of charity cards. The card I had started life as a BT credit card - you received a percentage of your monthly spend off your BT bill. That was disbanded after a around a year and they asked me to choose one of the charity cards instead, so I went with Cats Protection. That didn’t last long, either, and it just became a bog standard MBNA credit card, so I closed it.

2 Likes

Would love the cats protection. However i dont think i can do dogs trust as it does not support monzo or starling.

2 Likes

Curious. I wonder why currensea don’t integrate with those? It’s just open banking AFAIK, and both have APIs (though Starling’s isn’t standard, so I can understand their omission a bit more).

Perhaps it’s because these banks already give customers what is essentially the USP of currensea, and so there’s not much market there for them?

Looks like Currensea offer quite a few “powered by” charity cards as well.

1 Like

In the scheme of things, a nice touch.

3 Likes

Probably see themselves as being in competition

I just use currensea to meet a dd requirement on an rbs reward

1 Like