E86: Monzo CEO On Death Threats, Depression & Digital Banking Wars: Tom Blomfield

I can see more than five criticising things they have done…

You’re picking the wrong fight anyway. Starling vs Monzo doesn’t matter. There is a far larger majority just wanting fintech to fail in general and that is where most of the criticism comes from.

I was making a point that the most pro Monzo place in the world is less critical of starling than this place.

The previous forum that his forum replaced had a front page pinned post that said don’t use starling! :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think there’s really a lot to be critical of Starling for.

They seem to offer a good product, you can talk about tiny differences between them and anyone else, but there’s not a lot in it and they’re making money.

All banks close accounts. All banks are going to have issues with different things, bugs and people that were treated ‘badly’.

True

To be honest I don’t have an issue with people having their preference - I have mine and is neither of the companies discussed here

It’s when people have an issue with others liking the other company that I get a bit head scratchy!

1 Like

It’s just the same as everything else like Xbox and playstation. I suppose people can’t understand it because we’re talking about banks but then these banks aren’t as boring as your traditional banks. Also maybe Anne and Tom don’t help with their constant attacks on each other.

It’s very binary too.

Starling is great so that means Monzo is terrible. Monzo do this so that means Starling suck.

There’s what, 15/20 different places you can have a current account? Unless they do something to piss you off, most people stay. It’s only us nerds that try different ones.

3 Likes

Yeah I think it’s a Monzo Starling issue really.

It must be to do with their ‘bank’ status as well as you don’t hear as much mud slinging towards the e money players - a bit of scaremongering at most…

I think it’s like apple and pears you can like both or just one or another there is no right or wrong answer. Both monzo and starling have good and bad features.

2 Likes

I don’t agree that they have good and bad features. They do have very different approaches, and (I suspect) appeal to very different demographics.

They used to be streets ahead of traditional banks with snazzy features. But the “old skool” are fighting back. Slowly. Both Monzo and Starling remain streets ahead of everything else. But for how long. Probably a question for another thread?!

This is the answer.

Anne has said they will copy the app but they can’t copy their lower cost base. Also she said they’re adding new features on top of their existing technology which is more expensive.

Ok I’ll bite.

What exact is wrong with showing admiration for somebody’s achievements in an extremely difficult and competitive industry? As a start up and in less capable hands, Starling could have absolutely dived in the first year, but it’s due to the business acumen of Anne Boden and the fantastic team she’s put together they’ve now created a company that has become one of the most switched to banks in the country and is now one of the most trusted names in banking.

Passive aggressiveness in your posts here and a certain other community doesn’t paint you in a good light either. If you’re going to call me out indirectly then answer the following things

What exactly do Monzo do that is better than anything Starling have done?

• Free personal cash deposits

• Online banking - Monzo doesn’t even have iPad support !

• 24/7 support - remind me again of Monzo’s support opening times and the state of their phone support?

• Cheque imaging

• No A/B Testing shambles.

Finally, remind me again who is under FCA investigation :eyes:

1 Like

You’ve just proved everything I said in this thread correct.

Your attempts at trolling on the other forum are noticed too. It’s quite sad really.

And I haven’t called you out indirectly either, don’t try and act the victim because you post like a stalker. One of my other comments was removed because a moderator asked me to.

Cash deposits. No big deal. Cash is used less and less

Does the Monzo app work on an iPad? Yes.

Support is 24/7.

Cheque imagine is fair. But niche.

All big companies A/B test.

I’ll go now…

Can you pay a direct debit from a pot/space?

Can you auto export transactions to a spreadsheet?

Which bank has millions more customers?

Stating Starling are successful is trolling now. Listen to yourself 🤷

Which part of “on the other forum” didn’t you understand?

I’ve seen this person’s posts elsewhere. They’re perfectly reasonable…

I’ve said much stronger things and I’ve never been called a troll :joy:

Cash deposits. No big deal. Cash is used less and less

• If Cash is used less and less, why do so many banks have post office agreements and also don’t nickel and dime their personal customers?

Does the Monzo app work on an iPad? Yes.

• It’s the iPhone app spread out and doesn’t fit the dimensions of the screen. I’m talking about native iOS support with full functionality of the iPadOS

Support is 24/7.

• You must have a different perspective of 24/7 .

Cheque imagine is fair. But niche.

• It was one of the most requested features on the Monzo community. Hardly niche.

All big companies A/B test.

• They at least make sure it’s stable.

I’ll go now…

Can you pay a direct debit from a pot/space?

• That’s coming at some point.

Can you auto export transactions to a spreadsheet?

• What personal customer needs this? Which bank also provides practically all of the Business Pro features for free without nickel and diming their business customers?

Which bank has millions more customers? - How many of the 5.3 million plus are profitable customers putting all of their salary into it? Says more than Starling have around half of the’customer numbers yet are already profitable yet Monzo recorded another year of huge losses.

2 Likes

Monzo support is 24/7, and even if you think it isn’t, you seem to think 48 hours is acceptable.

Very strange how much you’ll tolerate so you can praise Starling.

So is profit for Monzo.

You could just accept that Monzo does some things that Starling doesn’t. But you can’t. Because you’re a strange banking troll.

• A better class of customer

:joy:

2 Likes

Let’s keep this discussion amicable please people

1 Like