E86: Monzo CEO On Death Threats, Depression & Digital Banking Wars: Tom Blomfield

I’ll bite back just because the Starling love is strong over here, let’s cool it down a bit.

That may well be the case and if cash really matters to you then it’d surely be clear from the outset that Monzo wouldn’t be the bank for you. That doesn’t mean they’re a bad bank, it just means they don’t cater to your needs. I hate cash, I don’t use it, the only time i do is when I’m forced too which is when my mother in law pays me back fro something because she doesn’t like online banking, but then it’s never for much so it either goes in the car for emergencies or i’ll just use it in my next shop.

Yh its not native, but again I really don’t think this is a big deal. I’m a complete Apple Fanboy but are tablets really used enough to warrant the effort(probably not) and i’m sure their analytics probably reflect that otherwise we’d probably have one. The tablet market is still relatively small in comparison. But i’d much rather they focused their efforts on a feature complete web platform rather than platform specific apps, everybody talks about iPads what about Android tablets? Do Starling support them with a standalone app?(Genuinely don’t know the answer to this but i hope not as sort of backs up my point :sweat_smile:)

Agree it’s a bit s*** they changed the support times, however to the best of my knowledge it is 24/7 for an emergency. Again though if you need support in the middle of the night(majority of people don’t but there are a minority who reasonably would) then their not the bank for you.

Would say it’s still niche, again whilst i’d like it, i and many others don;t receive nearly enough cheques to make his a big deal.

That’s been been “coming” for a looooong time so far, and even then it’ll be another feature they copied :wink: Be original :rofl:

Judging by the Monzo community, quite a few, one thing i’ve learnt from these communities is the ridiculous amount of different ways people manage their money, just because you don’t need it doesn’t mean others don’t.

Thats funny, there’s only one reason they’re still profitable and it’s even in their report. if they weren’t giving out all the government backed loans they’d still be in trouble, could that be seen as a mistake by Monzo for not doing them too? Yh probably, who knows, i’m sure they have their reasons. Let’s see hw the profits hold up when the loans fade out.

It really is crazy how much some of ya’ll get so protective of your precious starling yet Monzo is apparently the one with the cult, I’m fairly certain if they still had a forum they’d be viewed on par f not worse than Monzo. This forum has been a great example from the start.

Anyway, I don’t really understand why one has to be better than the other and why they can’t just coexist. they’re targeting different people for starters. I use Monzo because it’s the best for me. I have a Starling account ad I’ll continue to monitor it for if/when they become a better match for my needs, as it stands they’re a long way off. Doesn’t mean I have to shit talk Starling.

Last bit, if the rumour mill is true, it’s going to be a big year for Monzo feature wise(yesterdays beta release of the new “Trends” tab is a great example) so if you can all swallow your pride enough to keep an unbiased eye on the developments then you may be swayed… nah i’m kidding, fanboys are too stubborn to switch.

Peace Out

1 Like

I’ve always considered Monzo to be the only bank with ‘die hards’ , but this has been an eye opener.

When a certain banking license has been granted, I think we will see just how well they’ve used their time as banks respectively…

2 Likes

Just what the actual !!! Wow you really have tickets on yourself . News flash dear you really aren’t that special.

Evidently you can’t praise Starling for doing well when competitors aren’t on the same level.

Their finances before profitability were never on the scale of Monzo’s losses and I call the government backed loans an example of good business acumen.

1 Like

What’s funny :man_shrugging:

Ok then. Hoped this thread would settle down. It currently doesn’t make for a positive reading experience.

The topic, in any event, has probably run its useful course, so let’s close it down. Thanks everybody.

2 Likes