Fana‏

I dropped by 23, but if I refer 2 I get to 9? :joy:

I can see only Starling and maybe Monzo lasting.

I get same message at the bottom of my screen :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I applaud your persistence…… :flushed:

Very volatile like Crypto

I feel like Starling has stagnated and has come as far as it’s gonna go now honestly. The credit card has been coming soon for going on 4 years now. Reeks of Atom Bank and they were stagnant right from the get go.

Chase has come along and fills their consumer niche better, and Monzo are just their own thing in their own bubble.

In my own circles, there seems to be a mass exodus from Starling bank underway. They were the most popular bank in my circles a year ago. Now there’s only one guy left who uses them, and they’re even considering going back to a combination of Lloyds and Monzo.

I think we need some new players like Fana to hopefully breathe some new life into fintech. Because lately it feels like all the tech aspect is lost now. No more innovation outside of Monzo and Chase from what I see (Perhaps Algbra to a lesser extent if for no other reason than they’re the only player approaching this from the Triodos perspective of ethics). Just boring banks again, which isn’t particularly interesting to me.

1 Like

Just got this from an update email

:rofl:

I just came to post the same thing.

Email literally just arrived.

I’m out!

Just waiting to see if we shall have a free digital only version.

Won’t be free.

Re-read the caption you posted.

They are still confused. I still have hope they will wake up.

I interpretative this as the account will be free but if you want a card it’ll cost you £5 a month, and, presumably, you get something else too.

I sort of have hope for Fana but similar to @N26throwaway I hope they truly innovate, as it feels recently that’s really been lost. Maybe that’s because we’ve reached the horizon of innovation, maybe that’s because it’s harder to be truly innovative.

1 Like

You’re right. I guess I am out now.
From Discord: :arrow_down:

3 Likes

Thanks - saves me bothering to investigate. :blush:

There will be very, very few takers at £5pm/£60pa, however generous they are to charities. This one’s going to crash and burn. £5pm would get you a lower tier premium account with a variety of bells and whistles, and Fana

i) % of your spend gifted to a charity
ii) er…
iii) …that’s it

You would have thought they would have done even a modicum of research to reveal how unlikely this was to get off the ground. I suspect they will leave the Fana app “free” to allow for donations to whatever causes they choose. I have slowly descended from 400th in the application waiting list to 425th, as people refer other people to jump up the queue.

BTW, in my wallet is a Frost* card that was financial vapourware for months - years even. They too talked about a “modest” monthly fee that was quietly dropped before inception. Christ, even Bunq only charge €3 pm for their entry level account.

EDIT: Weirdly enough, Robin looked at my LinkedIn account not long after I signed up for the notification. Don’t know if anyone else has had this.

Try telling that to the many plus subscribers that Monzo has. If people find value, they will pay.

I also think we’re in a different era VC funding wise. The disruptors have been and gone, so I suspect the part funded/part VC model for new entrants is here to stay.

That still a thing?

There are a variety of bells and whistles available for Monzo Plus (none of them enough to tempt me, to be fair), including a 1% interest rate (capped at a £2000 balance - £20 pa, so a very partial offset), and none on offer for Fana.

There are a whole load of hopefuls who honestly think that charging for an account with little or no rewards - will cut it. I am guessing Triodos thought this as well, and they’ve not exactly taken over the world.

I, in the case of Tred, fully agree. They tried to change £4.99 for basic banking functions. But I don’t think we have enough detail to know if this is the case for Fana as yet. I remain optimistic.

They don’t seem too concerned by the prospect of losing potential customers :man_shrugging: :rofl:

From their niche alone, that might be enough.

Fana and Algbra are essentially the fintech equivalents of Triodos. A bank folks are quite happy to pay £3 per month just for providing a basic bank account service, and they chug along just fine.

So I do think there are folks who would pay, but in such a fragmented market, I’m not sure if they’ll many to choose from. Especially with Algbra being a thing.