First Direct: Dormant, despite being used šŸ¤”

Their 3.5% RS is OK for now

1 Like

Itā€™s about the only product they offer thatā€™s competitive!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a mortgage with them - which is actually pretty flexible once onboarded (overpayments can be made via FP/SO from any account at any time - no limit either with a fixed rate) - but the application process was slow.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a minimum period that you have to hold a FD account for if youā€™ve CASSā€™ed to them for the bonus? Iā€™ve been with them since March this year and to be honest, Iā€™m just not using the account for anything other than paying off my M&S credit card.

Thatā€™s the other thing I donā€™t get about FD and credit card payments. When I pay my M&S balance, it shows Iā€™ve made a payment in the credit card app and updates the actual balance within 24 hours. The FD account is different however in that it does show an ā€˜availableā€™ balance after Iā€™ve paid the credit card, but it sometimes takes up to 3 days before the payment pending disappears, even though the payment has completely cleared on the credit card. Iā€™ve got this scenario now, paid the credit card 3 days ago, still shows a pending payment in FD even though itā€™s all gone through. All seems half cocked to me.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no minimum period that you have to stay with them, unless one was mentioned in the conditions of the switching offer, and with First Direct there was no such condition.

The only minimum term Iā€™m aware of was the Nationwide refer a friend scheme, where they said theyā€™d take back your reward if the friend youā€™d referred closed their account within three or six months, -I canā€™t remember which.
Also, some switch bonuses are only paid after youā€™ve had your account for a certain length of time, so if you switch away before then you wonā€™t get the bonus. If youā€™ve already had it, you can leave as soon as you like.

2 Likes

You can switch the day you get your switch bonus in.

2 Likes

What happens if you both switch the accounts same day?

You used to get a ā€œleaving bonusā€ if you could provide a reason why you werenā€™t happy with them (hence switching again). To qualify for that you had to give them a fair try by keeping the account for at least 6 months, but then switch again between 6 months to a year - ringing up first to say you were leaving because you werenā€™t happy and explaining why.

They seem to have removed references to that from their website, but they may still (unofficially) offer it?

Iā€™ll be giving that one a miss! Thatā€™s such old fashioned tosh, having to phone up and speak to someone to explain yourself about why you donā€™t want to bank with them any more. If I can at all help it, I never want to speak to anyone at a bank, phone, branch or otherwise. I guess I should be thankful that I donā€™t have complications in any of my banking. Iā€™ve had to telephone Starling a couple of times since I opened the account in 2018, but that was over initial teething issues. I now when I need to, mostly use the in app secure chat. Chase have been very good at responding to some of my queries as have Starling to be fair.

What Iā€™ll do then, is wait until mid September before dumping FD, because then Iā€™ll have had the account for six months. If they do pay me anything on leaving, then, well, that would be a bonus, but Iā€™m definitely not going to phone them up because I remember the one and only phone call Iā€™ve ever made to them which lasted 20 minutes and I quite literally felt like shoving my own head down a toilet. At least I got the free Ā£150, thatā€™s all I wanted out of FD.

1 Like

Understood, and Iā€™m sure the same goes for most of their customers to be honest!

I switched to them in 2017 for a free Ā£100, and never left.

That said, the only draw for most of that period, and indeed now, was/is the Regular Saver.

Other than funding that, it only holds a tenner to try and stop it becoming dormant.

1 Like