General thread about Monzo :)

I didn’t disagree, I asked the OP to elaborate so I can understand why people hold that opinion. I was literally “looking into it” :confused:

It’s hard to pin-point. I’m not saying that there is hundreds of “MONZO IS SHIT” posts, but the general “feel” of this place has that undercurrent.

Put it this way, if it was about Starling, you’d have sorted it quicker than I could type this post.

2 Likes

It may be that the majority of users aren’t fans of Monzo - I’m not saying that’s definitely the case, but it would explain why you think that’s the general feel, and I have no reason to argue against your view.

It’s difficult as we don’t want to stop people from voicing their opinions, good and bad, so I’m not sure what action could be taken providing people are posting within the rules. I’m genuinely open to suggestions. The example posts I linked to above show that we’ve tried to steer people away from turning this place into an anti-Monzo echo chamber.

What I can say for certain is that I personally wouldn’t try to silence negative opinions on Starling if the posts are within the rules. As a long-time Starling customer, I might give a different opinion but only as a fellow contributor to the forum, certainly not in the capacity of a moderator. If I ever cross that line, I’m more than happy for people to raise it with me or use the flagging system.

6 Likes

Without adding too much to this, the problem, it seems to me, was that, for some odd reason we hadn’t got a general Monzo thread.

If we’d had one, this part of the chat would have been sat nicely there, methinks.

What on earth is happening here
Why is half of my bank account discussion on its own with no meaning
i didnt create this random thread

Edit: I was wondering why i had tonnes of emails lol

4 Likes

This is what happens when the topic gets spilt out for no reason. You end up with this random thing to wade through which has no context and is meaningless

It got somewhat derailed!

I’m on the other side of the fence - I have my Monzo account still, but don’t use it for anything. I’ve been waiting for them to tempt me back, but so far, nothing doing.

I don’t have an issue with the paywall per se, just that they’re paywalling features that others are offering for free or considerably less.

The most worrying thing is that their financial products (savings, loans) are all rubbish. Just nowhere against the competition. If you’re going to bother getting a banking licence, why not use it?

I think it speaks volumes that Tom left in part because he was fed up of dealing with all the regulatory paperwork. I mean, that IS banking.

Basically, I want Monzo to grow up a bit and start delivering something exciting

Thanks folks. This thread is for general conversation around the Monzo account.

To ensure new arrivals understand, I’ll take the liberty of adjusting the title (hopefully for the avoidance of all doubt :pensive:).

1 Like

Thanks to the rerail, I can say I use Monzo for day to day banking and am almost very happy with it. ‘almost’ because we use a Joint account which isn’t on feature-par with a Personal account.

Sort out JA’s Monzo, and I can stop posting posts like this post.

2 Likes

Is it just me or do monzo make it really difficult to report fraud if your not a customer

Shouldn’t you report fraud to your own bank?

2 Likes

That’s what I thought as well unless I have got the context wrong.

Not in this case, it was an attempted scam at a company I know. They’re weren’t successful but along with the usual other reporting it seems sensible for monzo to get information on scammers using monzo bank accounts in their crappy scams

It probably won’t be seen as urgent but you can always send it to their generic help address

That’s what They suggested on Twitter and what I ended up doing. I got an automated reply that they’re busy and it will take days before anyone even looks at it…

To be fair monzo make it very difficult to report anything to them whether you are a customer or not. They clearly want no contact from humans whatsoever, outside their social channels.

Just received this:

It seems I am impossibly rich as a result of my modest investment having doubled in value since I bought the shares in 2018.

Of course if I’d coughed up in 2016, that investment would now be worth 14x :sunglasses:.

Begging letters welcome…… :smile:

5 Likes

I had that too for my one share.

1 Like

I’ve not used my Monzo account for a couple of years now. Have they paywalled customer service as well? Crikey, they really are becoming the Ubisoft of current accounts.

I’ve not had any issues, to be fair. I’ve always had somebody reply within a few minutes in chat and they have dealt with my query, usually pertaining to transferring large amounts.

They certainly haven’t been any worse (or better) than Starling.