Going cashless

Greggs near me was cash only today. I ended up with £6 of 5p coins!

Jingle Jangle.

I’d have left my sausage on the counter and walked out :rofl:

1 Like

Humbug to the lot of yer. :relaxed:

I’m of the age where a wide-brimmed hat and a silver-topped cane are the accessories of choice. Tipping with style, I think they call it.

I don’t see how any of you tipophobes are going to show your appreciation to your postman this Christmas :christmas_tree::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well, it’s not just “a postman” - every time I see them face-to-face it’s a different postman or postwoman and I’m not going to tip them all!

3 Likes

Fair point. (Mine’s miserable, so he’s missing out).

I have my valet see to the tradesmen etc. save so much time and effort.

3 Likes

The postman is definitely getting nothing off of me seeing as they’ve been on strike this week and an an important parcel I’ve been waiting for is not with me.

I know it comes across as mean and tight to some, but I just don’t see tipping as anything important these days. As I say, I serve people in my job every day as many millions do every day in shops and supermarkets around the country and we don’t get money thrown at us for just doing our job. Yes, I’m a miserable sod ain’t I? :laughing:

2 Likes

Certainly not !! :blush:

No Graham, I really am a miserable git. I don’t even like Christmas, in fact, I can’t stand it, so offing cash to folks willy nilly coz it’s considered a luverly gesture, is horrific for me :joy: Imagine if a mosquito had a wallet and you tried to stuff a £20 note in it, I’m that tight, it ain’t happenin :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Nope, completely agree with you!

Well…… you say that, but I’m thinking you’re really just the sort of chap who’s already festooned the house and garden with Blackpool-esque lights to the amazement and admiration of all the neighbours. :blush:

You’re the sort of chap who gets all of a festive tizz when the Christmas crackers arrive in Sainsbury’s (etc).

You’re clearly an inspiration to us all.

(Personally, I think the best thing about Christmas is January :relieved:).

2 Likes

Graham, bless you :laughing: Despite the fact our kind Government is giving me free electricity at the moment because we of course are not using £66 or more of electricity a month, I wouldn’t wish to inflict upon the National Grid a festoon of lights around me y house! I’ll leave that to my crazy neighbours some of whom have had their entire Christmas decorations up since 1st November. Clearly cash rich folk who can afford to inflict bizarre misery on those of us too tight to feed the energy shareholders coffers!

Anyway, to stay on topic. I must really find out just how far Sweden have progressed toward a cash free society and what impact it is having on the populous.

1 Like

2 Likes

I may be the most miserable git at Christmas, but me and the Wife are spending a portion of January in sunnier and warmer far flung climes :sunglasses:

Post COVID, normal travel has resumed! There’s a definite benefit to saying Sod off! to everyone else at Christmas and not buying for anyone else. It means coming out of the festive period debt free and enjoying ourselves at the same time.

Merry Christmas :joy:

And yes, you’ve won us over. We’ll all be pleased to pop around yours on Christmas morning to have a late Yuletide breakfast and swap tales of bonhomie and that……:relieved::christmas_tree:

Oh, and turn the radiators up - what with you being self-reportedly mingey. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks to these people who fund my dividends :handshake:

1 Like

I’d hazard a guess that they are very much on their way to being almost cash free.
We visited in 2015 and never saw any actual cash the whole time we were there.
Even back then, being cashless was very very easy.

To be fair, I was in Sweden at exactly this time last year. We didn’t take any Krone with us, we used our Starling debit card everywhere without a hitch.

I’ve used actual physical cash here in the UK less than a dozen times this year. I really do hate cash that much!

2 Likes

You should try getting a power bank. Really helps in those situations and you never have to worry about having no charge ever again. Don’t forget to charge it though. :grin:

Ofcom investigates complaint against GB News over its Don’t Kill Cash campaign Ofcom investigates complaint against GB News over its Don't Kill Cash campaign - BBC News