Going cashless

I still cringe when I see people put coins in their mouths :nauseated_face: If that isn’t a reason for going cashless, then I don’t know what is…see how I managed to get the topic back on track there :laughing:

2 Likes

Neither does receiving mouth to mouth resuscitation immediately prior to blowing into the tube…so I’m told…

1 Like

I think mine is called a PhoneSoap! It is how you describe with a top and bottom panel which cover the whole surface area and the phone is totally bathed in UV light whilst inside it. It seems to work really well. When I first got it, I put my phone inside with a leather case on and when it came out it smelt faintly of burning (the leather, not the phone) probably because there were germs lurking inside the treated leather!

I can imagine what you mean with the crisp thing, but I think I lack the dexterity. I will stick to washing/wiping/gelling my hands both before and after eating!

I couldn’t agree more. To look at it as “we need to keep cash, some people use it” as the starting point is looking at things the wrong way round - we should be trying to understand why these people don’t use technology and making it more inclusive for them, not holding everyone back for the sake of the status quo.

7 Likes

I’ve read the Which? piece on cashless and, it’s utter garbage lol

Just Eat take 14%, more if you don’t provide your own drivers. This is in addition to the 50p “service charge” that was rebranded from the card charge.

I’d say it’s ridiculous but it’s not Just (get it?) the fees; Just Eat’s customer service is very skewed to the customer and leaves little recourse for us takeaways. Had a customer get their food and then get a full refund on it because they called Just Eat and said a bunch of lies and Just Eat didn’t even contact us. When we called up to contest this they basically said “sorry, but because you forgot to tap that it was delivered, we can’t help you” which would be fair, if the customer hadn’t acknowledged it was delivered.

Lots of customers place stupid “please refund me for X on Y grounds” through on the app too, because places don’t want to lose business. I’ve found out that you can pretty much decline them all and no one will call up because they’re literally lying to get a cheaper meal. Had someone order 2 egg fried rice, a chicken dish and a beef dish and requested the entire to be refunded (that wasn’t the rice) on the grounds it was cold. Heat bags can keep food hot for about an hour. They were about a half hour walk away.

This is pretty normal, my store used to do it as well until the ex-ex owner got absolutely ruined by the VAT man. Basically, cash orders you can delete X amount from the books later. Lots of staff won’t be on books for full amounts so this means you save on whatever tax liability to the VAT man and get staff on books for less.

Yeah, what’s weird is even chains like KFC break this rule; you’d think they’d be the only ones to follow it, tbh

Card transactions are expensive to process, you’re right in that we would just ask people to pay cash (our town still has an abundance of ATMs including one a minute or two away from the store). It’s not worth a card transaction for under a few quid.

Does the Just Eat price promise apply in such cases?

I recall one restaurant charging £50 on Just Eat compared to £75 on Uber Eats for the same meal!

Well, for the first time in my life I paid for goods with a cheque today!

The local chippy’s card machine has been broken for a while and the thought of having to withdraw, handle and fiddle with cash completely put me off going. Asked them if they would accept PayPal or the like and they said no. Then I remembered the discussions on this forum about how cheques could replace cash in some circumstances, and I enquired as to whether they’d take a cheque as payment, and lo and behold they said yes.

So there I was like a time traveller at the counter with my pen and chequebook signing away £15. To be honest it felt pretty novel, but was also significantly more convenient than having to use cash. As a backup for cards, I think it’s not bad. So long live cheques, I guess? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m just amazed you carried around nyour chequebook! Mine would be buried at the back of a drawer. At home. Somewhere. I think.

4 Likes

Oh god no, I called up before going and asked them! I’m not sure anyone other than very old gentlemen with top hats and blazers carry chequebooks around with them!

2 Likes

At the same time? Surely not. :joy: R-

1 Like

I hope you flicked your wrist after tearing off the cheque and handed it to them whilst saying “I trust this will suffice”!

4 Likes

That’s hilarious. :joy::rofl:

Before I saw the SNL watermark, I was thinking it was the work of a really sassy bank. Nice anyway.

Damn missed a trick there :joy: I’m confused why SNL (an American show) is spelling it ‘cheques’ instead of ‘checks.’ Are they used interchangeably over there?

I’m not sure, but I think it was just part of the joke to make cheques seem more glamorous, deliberately using the British spelling to look sophisticated!

“Checks” (urgh) is certainly the more common spelling, even if both might be acceptable.

3 Likes

Apparently “Ridgewood Savings Bank” was a real bank that they just used in the sketch without telling them!

Quite funny, luckily it went down well with Ridgewood.

Edit: They are, and based in New York too!

2 Likes

According to Wikipedia Amex use cheques spelling, even in the US

2 Likes

ie, the correct spelling, then…:blush:

2 Likes

Free fish & chips if you ransack the bank account! (joke)

I suddenly want an Amex card even more than before :grin:

2 Likes

Cemented the fact I’ll always be a customer, cheque is king

2 Likes

I’ve been on holiday, staying in a small little seaside village. The sort of place you expect to encounter merchants who haven’t quite got with the times and only take cash. So, reluctantly, I withdrew some at the start of the week, and have been working my way through it.

Final day, so I thought I’d nip to the village deli and get something to eat for the train journey back home. The perfect chance to get rid of my remaining tenner.

Or maybe not. “Sorry, we don’t accept cash. Cards only”.

:weary::joy:

8 Likes