How many current accounts do you have?

That’s me!

I like the flexibility of keeping all my accounts open, and it’s also partly because I can’t be bothered to close the less useful ones, even via CASS (as you then often run into the problem of how to shut linked saving accounts too, etc).

Having many current accounts doesn’t seem to affect my credit rating negatively, as they all report positive data, and it’s easy to manage them via apps. Also, having accounts with virtually every bank allows me to always check out new features when they are released (which is interesting) and also compile my annual iOS beta testing compatibility list!

3 Likes

I meant travel freely.
No testing, no locator forms, no vaccine certification, no quarantine.
Being able to just book something and not have to worry about changing rules or restrictions.
I know that this is hugely reliant on other countries relaxing or removing their restrictions, and I do realise that travel is still possible, but for me personally it is currently just too much hassle.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a polava - and my 2 trips in 2021 both coincided with the more expensive testing regime - but you get used to it as you do the airport security rigmarole/turning up 2 hours early. Has been worth every penny for me & my year :slight_smile:

When out there the masks have been the main difference really.

Hope you get away soon! Its a lateral flow on return only now which is about £19. There are some outbound destinations which accept x2 vax only - but not an option for everyone!

3 Likes

One of the biggest problems for us is our way of travelling.
We see it as more of a hobby than a holiday, and have been known to spend a couple of weeks away visiting 3 or 4 different countries during that time.
Given the current situation, it’s almost impossible to keep up with everything needed lol

1 Like

Starling:

• Personal account for everyday use (wages in and everyday spending, bills from a saving space, additional saving spaces for savings and round up)
  • Second personal account for work expenses, but not getting used at the moment as I’m not travelling for work.
  • Euro account, currently empty but will use for travel to the eurozone at some point

Chase
Opened an account to see what it was like but not currently using it.

Nat West
Just so I have a account with a bank with a high street presence should I need it. Also the ability to withdraw cash without having my card with me, should the need ever arise.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree - I’ve had to keep it to one country each trip. Same as the next two I have planned - but let’s hope it improves!

3 Likes

Main - Starling - Salery/DDs/Spending

Dormant - RBS

Semi Dormant - Halifax

Just signed up to Chase. I don’t know why, I thought the 1% would be good, but the app/account seems a bit basic/half baked, and I now cant be arsed with it. Starling are miles ahead.

3 Likes

I had the same experience with Chase. Wasn’t impressed.

I’ve sort of gone off starling now since having them from the beta days now the merchant information is so bad

1 Like

@Shivers77 @Rexx I haven’t got a Chase account and haven’t been following any of the threads. But am curious - what features would you have expected or hoped to see that are currently missing?

No direct debits, no CASS, no confirmation of payee, no cheque paying in via app, basically nothing other than a spending account at present. Some folks are making a fair wedge out of the cashback offer. Fantastic looking debit card though. I’m still puzzled as to why a bank would launch an account that doesn’t offer a full range of products, especially one as massive as Chase.

3 Likes

It’s just feels like a spending card with an average app. Beyond the money behind the cashback (which I really don’t think is a particularly effecting money management tool for the average consumer, bar perhaps some benefit for a large one off payment you were going to make anyway) it looks and feels like a 1st year start up’s app. It is new in this market - but they’re not a new entity so it all feels rather underwhelming. The support is quick but that’s because it’s miles off being mainstream (the fact they haven’t sorted DD’s or CASS off the bat is bewildering). I’d rather use a fintech that might end up offering something fundamentally different - this is just a loss leading average banking app imo. Given there is no open banking integration and you can’t really use it as a main account (excusable for a proper start up maybe?) - it ends up feeling like a bolt on to your financial infrastructure for the sake of a few pennies.

5 Likes

I agree that the Chase app is decidedly more “rough and ready” than I expected it to be before launch.

The random lag in places, and noticeable ~30 second delay on notifications both really need sorting out!

Standing orders are there and functional though

2 Likes

Oh, ok, my bad, probably because I never use S/O’s for anything, I’d obviously incorrectly assumed they weren’t available. Doesn’t alter the fact the account offers very little.

Personally, there’s nothing much I want from them. I am not thinking of moving my main banking from Lloyds. I am using Chase for the cashback, when it ends, it will be like any other account I just keep there.

Yes, Standing Orders are just scheduled Faster Payments (not a separate payment scheme) so once you’ve plugged in to Faster Payments it’s trivial to support them - really it’s just an interface thing.

Directs Debits, on the other hand, are processed via the BACS payment scheme so require integration with that. Most salaries and pensions are paid via BACS too, with BACS Direct Credit, so that is a key system to support if you want people to use your product as a primary account.

2 Likes

What’s odd is that they support Direct Credit but not Debit…

2 Likes

It seems to be because they are in a testing phase with the Direct Debit part - whereas Direct Credit is very much just a “flip the switch” to enable kind of thing.

2 Likes

Why didn’t you just upgrade your Flex to FlexPlus?