Lack of Logos

I’ve noticed lately there seems to be a real lack of logos on the Starling transaction feed compared to how it was at one time. Merchants such as Cinema, high street shops and phone network no longer show with a logo. Is this a recent thing?

I’ve also submitted a few improvements which haven’t been completed as of yet.

It’s no big deal in the grand scheme of things, as I still really like the product and think Starling offer the best overall banking experience out there. Just noticing a lot of changes to how it was at one time, the majority of changes I have to say are for the better and improve the overall functionality of the app.

1 Like

I agree.

Most of my feed transactions have a generic category icon now.

Even some Aldi, Morrisons, and McDonald’s transactions have no company logo, while some others with same companies do :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep same here have submitted a few logos no update had been applied. Quite a few empty logos such as Sainsburys and national lottery. Also still have old logos on just eat or amazon.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d actually prefer things without logos. Fancy iconography and human readable merchant names are all I really want. That’s easier to maintain, and creates a very simple and elegant feed. Logos make it all look busy, obtuse, and inconsistent, when you factor in smaller merchants, merchants with no logo, or merchants whose logo doesn’t conform well to the predetermined dimensions.

As ambitious as the challenge for these things are, and is great as it would be if it was 100% and every logo conformed to the UI; it’s a mess.

4 Likes

I submitted improvements over a year ago and nothings been done. I asked them why am I wasting my time and they were kind of dismissive, something to the effect of keep submitting them as they get reviewed… I’m not sure if they do review them.

Imo either take the improvements or pay a third party to update it for you. It’s one of the few things that annoy me with them, not the missing icons, but that it feels like I wasted my time

3 Likes

That’s essentially what RBS has done, icons for the transaction types. Better naming… still lacking maybe but they’ve got a decent icon game.

If you can’t have merchant logos for all the merchants… why do it in the first place?

2 Likes

Yep, I really like my feed on RBS. N26’s was excellent too. Although they too have now gone down the merchant logo route.

2 Likes

It’s been happening most of this year.
Not a single raised logo by myself has been actioned.
Kind of thought they must be focusing on something else as a few years ago they were really quick on updating them.

2 Likes

I reckon that collaborative idea was more about engaging the customer base. Not such a priority now….

3 Likes

Starling don’t even have their own logo on transactions now

2 Likes

To be fair, I think that’s a much better approach. Have some nicely designed icons based on merchant categories that can be tweaked by the user instead of try and have a logo for every tiny cornershop in the back of nowhere in rural Tadzhikistan

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same.
Personally I would also, like @N26throwaway prefer a much simpler approach.
Starling’s simplicity is for me, one of their advantages.

1 Like

Starling don’t have “simplicity”, they have the same system as Monzo: icons for some merchants, but not for others. They also share the same “don’t bother fixing logos even when suggestions are made”.

3 Likes

Why not let us customise the logos ourselves, like Emma does?

1 Like

I agree, that’s the best approach.

I did like N26’s simple and clean feed, but I do enjoy merchant logos and, on balance, would rather have them than not.

1 Like

Just wanted to add my voice to this frustration. Everything annoying about the logo saga has already been said.

My suggestion for Starling would be to have a mixture of the few suggestions above - They could implement generic logos as the base for different types of transaction, just like N26 use to have, then on top of that they could allow users to update the logos themselves if they want to, just like the Emma does. If they are concerned about people abusing the system it could be restricted to services like Twitter and Instagram with an added layer of automated checks like a profanity filter.

2 Likes

Agree with this, to this day they don’t seem to bother adding anymore.

4 Likes