Lloyds current account / mobile app: Any good?

I noticed the anon part after I replied and figured it was one of the trolls.

Youā€™ll be comforted to know that all mods are, and always have been, present and correct :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ā£500 is pretty standard these days - only Natwest / RBS seems to have a lower one.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure a few banks are still Ā£350 a day, but I canā€™t remember which ones now off the top of my head.

Maybe non-Club Lloyds accounts are?
Also perhaps TSB?

HBOS has nothing to do with it, essentially itā€™s now a defunct holding company.

Halifax is just a brand name for Bank of Scotland plc - whilst they have separated out the brands (Halifax from BOS), they can still be serviced in each otherā€™s branches plus Lloyds can use Bank of Scotland branches too.

Birmingham Midshires is actually just another brand name of Bank of Scotland plc too.

HBOS as a separate entity no longer exists, but the historical ā€œformer HBOSā€ (now simply Bank of Scotland plc, trading as various brands and owned by Lloyds Banking Group) lives on.

Halifax and Bank of Scotland accounts showing under the other brandā€™s online banking login appears to be an oddity resulting from how Halifax and Bank of Scotland were integrated by Lloyds, thatā€™s what I was mentioning it in the context of.

None of the other brands behave in quite the same way.

HBOS still exists; it was/is simply a holding company.
Bank of Scotland has been around as an entity since 1695.

Not sure where you are getting HBOS become Bank of Scotland.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying HBOS became Bank of Scotland at all; Iā€™m saying that the HBOS setup was legally reorganised at the time of the Lloyds Banking Group takeover.

At that time, Halifax became a brand of Bank of Scotland Plc and the new name for HBOS was Bank of Scotland plc.

The consumer facing brands didnā€™t change and neither did any back-office setup, but the legal names of the companies involved were changed slightly.

1 Like

Lloyds have added HMRC account numbers in the new Payee section as you try to sen money to a new person.
This is to fight HMRC scams

7 Likes

Just noticed that the messaging is back in the app, not sure how long itā€™s been there - but not for long it seems

1 Like

Perhaps it returned with last weekā€™s app updates?

I used the messaging feature on Feb 07

1 Like

No pay HMRC on the app for andorid yet.

1 Like

Total toshā€¦the reorganisation happened before LloydsTSB came into the picture.

HBOS was only a holding company (like Lloyds Banking Group) and was never the same company as Bank of Scotland. Halifax has been nothing more than trading name of Bank of Scotland since the HBOS Group Reorganisation Act 2006.

Lloyds Banking Group as an entity didnā€™t exist until 2009. That legal structure was created at the time of the HBOS takeover, which also saw restructuring of the Bank of Scotland Plc at the same time. I accept that Halifax was only a trading name from 2006 onwards, but there were two separate reorganisations at different times.

1 Like

Amazing how a conversation can be picked up where it left off 7 months later ā€¦. :flushed:. Impressive.

Itā€™s a bit like my marriage to be honest, Iā€™ll be stood in the kitchen and the Wife will say something which I swore she mentioned months previously, and then I remembered I conveniently forgot what sheā€™s said to me all those months before. How weā€™ve lasted 20 odd years I have no idea :rofl:

3 Likes

Good, let me evade tax

I doubt that ā€œI tried to pay tax from my Lloyds Bank account, but couldnā€™t see the option in the appā€ would be an acceptable excuse for HMRC!

It was all about cutting the number of banking licences and requirements to have separate companies with their own boards from 4 to 1ā€¦ They had BOS/Halifax/Capital Bank (NWS Bank) and HBOS Treasuryā€¦ Halifax then became a trading name as they kept the BOS licenceā€¦ The merger with Lloyds added another licence to the group