Marcus saving app launched

Just had email to say Marcus savings app to download from iOS or Google.

7 Likes

Interesting! Not showing in the AppStore for me yet

Simple but nice

Try tapping on one of the other apps by Goldman Sachs that you can see in the App Store search results (such as ‘GS Now’) and then tap on the developer name. Marcus should be listed there. That’s how I had to find it.

4 Likes

I linked to it through today’s email.

1 Like

Awesome! Nice little app too! Leaps and bounds ahead of Atom!

1 Like

I am in the :soon: to Google Play category :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah nice, I think their website was really pretty decent, it seems like a dedicated app though is usually a sign of more products to come. I suppose they have gone from 1 to 3 accounts already

2 Likes

Yep! The launch of the app was linked to the announcement last month on new investment products that are on their way for next year. Releasing the app was part of the preparations for those products.

3 Likes

So far it seems like they are off to a good start!
It’s polished and elegant, but simple.

Hopefully they will start adding more features like notifications for incoming or outgoing transfers as they continue to develop it.

3 Likes

No Android app yet; another company who treat Android users like plebs despite it being the dominant mobile platform! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It goes both ways. There’s no global conspiracy to treat android users as second-class citizens

1 Like

I’ve yet to see an app recently be launched as Android only with iOS coming soon.

I also find it quite unprofessional to send an email to all users when only one platform currently has the app; why not wait till both are out there!?

4 Likes

To be fair Android isn’t exactly straight forward to support. Half a dozen screen densities over a few different screen sizes, and at any one time that’s over half a dozen major android releases still in heavy use and add on top that each release isn’t necessarily the same as manufacturers may change something so you also have to consider potential compatibility issues with specific manufacturer versions of each of the releases.

Screen layouts you can get around but then you have to build in backwards compatibility often with the use of compatibility layer APIs, add on testing, any banking and financial regulations you need to pass, etc etc etc.

By contrast on iOS 85% if all devices use the same build of iOS 14. Your targeting some of the similar screen and density sizes but on for the most part 1 OS version, 2 if you want to get that up to 93% coverage. That’s night and day compared to Android.

So it doesn’t surprise me that some companies release iOS versions before android.

3 Likes

Us web developers say: what are you moaning about?

You get back to work you’ve got some cookie pop ups to make more annoying

1 Like

‎Marcus UK: Online savings bank on the App Store, for anyone who can’t find it.

This is version 1.5.5 - has it been available elsewhere prior to this release?

2 Likes

It’s been available in the US for a while; they’ve probably used the same code over here and just tweaked it (hence the strange version number).

Looks a bit N26-ish inasmuch as it’s clean and uncluttered.

Atom could certainly take a leaf out of their book when it comes to document storage. Simple and easy to fathom.

2 Likes

I agree, there is something of N26 in it’s simplicity.

Atom always feels cluttered and slightly clunky to me - probably because of the login being so awkward, which creates a poor first impression!

2 Likes