Monese replacement card

Has anyone here with a Monese account had an email asking them to “confirm their address” for a replacement card ?

It looks like a scam, but if so, it’s a persistent one.

All legit. They are starting with the Euro cards first. My virtual changed today and physical is on its way.

But not a peep on their blog or Twitter. I would assume its a change of supplier as the BIN seems to have changed.

I only have a GBP card - it was only received a month or so ago…

1 Like

I got the same and when I opened the app it immediately prompted me to order a new Euro card.

I haven’t received anything telling me to take any action for my GBP card though. Perhaps that is to follow.

I followed the instructions, but it gave me no option to confirm the address/number/email, just a chance to update it. So I “updated” it with the same details and they emailed me (again) 2 weeks later to “confirm” my address

sigh

1 Like

It gave me an option to confirm my existing address - which isn’t quite formatted right but is as close as I can get the system to accept, and is just about OK as cards do seem to arrive!

They may have tweaked the system since you went through the process; I only did yesterday evening.

Just wanted to slide an entirely unrelated point into the thread and say: I really enjoy how Monese a) let you live without a physical card

And b) have separate card details for EUR/GBP/RON

1 Like

I really like them to encode the Euro card with an EU country’s BIN code to further help avoid DCC.

Technically, it shouldn’t happen anyway on a currency-loaded prepaid card like Monese - but I believe I have heard of merchants floating them rule.

An EU BIN code would totally stop it though, and make it appear as a “local” card in EU countries.

1 Like

I had the same issue. I just removed the county part of my address. A bit amateur all round on this.

1 Like

The EUR card works without the DCC prompt at Euro terminals. It’s my favourite feature of the entire product offering. That and 20% discounts at ASDA/ Sainsbury’s.

3 Likes

Yes, I know it does (and it should do as per Mastercard rules because it’s a prepaid re-loadable currency card) but the country still presents as UK based on the BIN. This means a poorly configured terminal could read that and “assume” GBP even though it isn’t supposed to.

Whereas an EU BIN would remove that potential issue completely.

It’s a bit like the problems with IBAN discrimination. SEPA rules ban discrimination based on country code, but it still sometimes happens anyway. Therefore, it’s quite useful to have access to a Fineco or Wise Euro account, as they use “proper” EU country-codes in their IBANs. The GB code that Starling, for example, uses should be just as good as the UK is still a SEPA member - but in reality sometimes it won’t be accepted or banks will try to charge extra fees for making a transfer to “outside of the EEA” even though it’s within the SEPA zone and processed the same as a transfer to any EU or EEA SEPA member.

The new EUR cards have a new BIN starts 537382. Seems pretty fresh and not coming up on any public tools for me.

Interesting, it may even be an EU BIN then!

How to get? :melting_face:

1 Like

There are periodic discounts on buying gift cards for various retailers, I think.

Useful if you were going to spend money there anyway!

1 Like

Yes but I mean like, where would they appear?

1 Like

You get an app notification which leads to a message with a load of offer codes. Entering them gives you the option to exchange however much of your balance for a voucher.

You’ve got to be really quick, they sell out in minutes.

2 Likes

I got the email but the promo section had nothing - must have sold out…

1 Like

Yes, probably.

I’ve been aware of them but have never managed to buy any either.

1 Like

You pretty much have to buy within an hour or so, or they’re gone