Monzo’s 2021 Annual Report

How are they going to nickel and dime this time?

Just imagine

£1 per cheque deposit
£1 per phone call
50p per cash withdrawal
50p per bank transfer

Sounds like a business bank account but with more fees

I’d find it funny if they did swap to a premium rate line, people would probably spend £30 a call, on hold :sob:

2 Likes

Don’t give them any ideas! :joy:

3 Likes

Monzo would be snapped up by one of the old guard if it was going under or even a shotgun wedding with competitor Starling (either facilitated by the BOE/PRA)

It’s more likely they will just be left to fail. I think this will be dragged out though with more funding rounds.

In regards to Starling I think Anne will be turning the phone off and getting the champagne out if it gets that far :rofl:

2 Likes

You really think Monzo could fail?
Very interesting given their almost cult like status among the faithful.
Do you mind me asking why you think this?
(Genuinely interested in your thoughts)

3 Likes

Where is their route to profitability? I don’t see anything changing for them to get there.

They wont fail because as you say the faithful will continue to invest. Without that yes I do believe they could fail.

3 Likes

They should hire me to turn Monzo around

The day has arrived! I marked your words mystery fintechtalk user! Monzo is still here. A fortune teller, you were not.

They’ve still got until midnight for their prediction to come true!

Check back in this time tomorrow (not that I’m expecting anything, but you never know).

Spoiler

And no, it wasn’t me who predicted it!

1 Like

You two pulling a night shift? :blush:

I see on the other side, they are now hyping themselves on the ‘Race to 7 million users’. I wish they’d get over themselves, it’s not like it’s the most exciting thing in the world. Plus, Monzo’s figures about how many accounts they hold don’t hold much weight in my opinion because I suspect quite a number of accounts are nothing more than a ‘suck it and see’ delve into Monzo and probably aren’t truly active in the sense of being used as a full on account. It’ll be the same with Starling et al, you can claim all the millions you want, but if ‘customers’ aren’t actually using the accounts and they’re sitting there effectively dormant, it’s actually nothing to crow about.

3 Likes

I think it’s just a bit of fun for folks! Not something anyone takes seriously, or really cares about I think. Kind of a bit pointless now there isn’t a live number to follow and predict tho!

As for how many of those are actually active users who use the product regularly, I think it was around 5 million, so pretty close to the figure, although not sure if they count business and and personal separately for that, whereas I believe the number on the site is just users with an account to sign in, so some of them will naturally have other products like joint accounts and business accounts as well, which other banks would normally treat as separate customers.

Personally preferred the way Monzo counted users with the live figure. I think it’s a more a real picture, because it’s not artificially inflated like the numbers used elsewhere and by other banks are.

Shame it’s gone. I enjoyed the fun of trying to calculate absurdly wrong guesses. What I really needed to do was design an algorithm. And probably would have done if there was an actual prize to justify it!

But therein is my problem, I’m just no fun! I’m clearly damaged when it comes to getting spiced on how many customers a bank has or claims to have :rofl:

1 Like