Moving DD from one account to another

On Chase your expired debits can indeed not be hidden. Very irritating

1 Like

As I recall they can be hidden if you have an existing active payment. Without it, the hidden list as you say, takes prominence. Rather daft.

1 Like

Finally! And there was me thinking I was lying :rofl:

Oh - have we been talking about Chase? I thought we were talking about Starling!

Well I was talking about both because I had issues with Starling and I have a similar issue with Chase.

Whether anyone chooses to believe me however, is an entirely different matter :joy:

1 Like

Starling you can definitely hide them on, but not remove them completely (for CPA): which is annoying because actually if I give an instruction to cancel the CPA that actually isnā€™t negotiable for Starling. I have revoked consent for a transaction to be taken from that CPA

By law theyā€™re mandated to not let payments go out after youā€™ve instructed them to do so. Iā€™d assume this also applies when I tell them I donā€™t want them to honour a CPA

Visa/Mastercard should also clamp down on the abuse of them: Blizzard set one up for meā€¦ for a one-time purchase

I prefer to switch banks accounts myself and set up new direct debits with the companies concerned using my new bank details. Once everything is up and running on the new account I like to go into the previous account and tidy up by deleting the direct debits no longer in use. Unfortunately some companies then contact me claiming I have cancelled my direct debit with them so I need to set up another. That results in two direct debits with the new bank. My OCD canā€™t handle it! Do companies not check the account on which the cancelled direct debit was lodged?

Maybe thatā€™s the downside of not using the Switch to handle the changeover?

1 Like

I had something similar with the RAC once - kept sending me DD cancellation correspondence even though it was set up on the new account. In the end I called them to complain and they paid me Ā£25, didnā€™t have to set a new one up. Sometimes Iā€™ve moved DDs with banks that arenā€™t part of CASS. Dozens, Revolutā€¦maybe another oneā€¦

Fortunately the DDs I referenced in the OP have been cancelled and I havenā€™t been chased. New DDs going out next week donā€™t envisage a problem.

When I have used CASS all the direct debits switch to the new account, but when some companies cotton on that itā€™s a new bank they set up a brand new direct debit with the new bank - so I see two DDs for each company. The worst company is Toyota Finance. I darenā€™t cancel one of their direct debits no matter how old. Trying to explain whatā€™s happened to a CS rep is very unproductive. They say ā€˜your bank has told us the direct debit has been cancelledā€™ and I say ā€˜but not the bank Iā€™m actually using for your direct debitā€™ and so it does on. They simply donā€™t understand.

2 Likes

As @scgf says, this doesnā€™t necessarily prevent duplicate DDs! Lex Autolease and UCU (University and College Union) always used to do this, even with a CASS :angry:

3 Likes

Switch to TSB completing tomorrow, oddly every payee I ever had with the Coop has come over - including deleted ones. Bit irritating! The two necessary DDā€™s are there though, bring on the Ā£125ā€¦