Paypal withdrawing from the UK Financial Ombudsman Service’s (FOS) Voluntary Jurisdiction on 1st December 2022

I have received this email from Paypal but it is not clear to me.
What exactly do they mean by the voluntary and compulsory jurisdictions?

“ We’re making some changes to our legal agreements that will apply to you.

Important notice to all UK customers

As part of PayPal’s continued efforts to manage some necessary changes arising from the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union, we will be withdrawing from the UK Financial Ombudsman Service’s (FOS) Voluntary Jurisdiction on 1st December 2022. Due to changes to UK rules, since 1st January 2021, we have been, and continue to be, subject to the Compulsory Jurisdiction of the FOS and complaints about acts or omissions occurring on or after this date can be referred to the FOS under the Compulsory Jurisdiction. Our withdrawal from the Voluntary Jurisdiction will not affect any rights you may have to refer a complaint to the FOS under the Compulsory Jurisdiction.
If you have a complaint about an event that occurred before 1st January 2021 and you have not yet submitted that complaint to PayPal, you should contact us as soon as possible. You can contact us by clicking Contact Us at the bottom of any Help page.

Where you have a complaint that relates to an event that occurred before 1st January 2021 and you are dissatisfied with how PayPal has resolved that complaint in our final response, then you must refer that complaint to the FOS before 1st December 2022 if you would like FOS to look at it – unless our final response says that you must refer your complaint to FOS by any earlier date.

You can find the notice regarding our withdrawal from the Voluntary Jurisdiction on our Policy Updates page, as well as further information about other changes that may apply: www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full.

You can also view these changes by visiting PayPal.com, clicking ‘Legal’ at the bottom of the page and then selecting ‘Policy Updates’.

If you have questions about any of these changes or your account, please don’t hesitate to get in touchwith us.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.”

1 Like

I’m guessing PayPal is being brought into the FOS scope properly? They used to always be an optional member that agreed to the oversight by choice

1 Like

If I got it right, Paypal won’t be an authorised party making desicion/ verdict in a complaints under FOS jurisdiction, regarding cases like frauds or scams.