Revolut seeking a UK Bank Licence

Out of interest, what is this?

Not plotting to scam you, I promise! :joy:

You’re one of the few folks out there who might actually be as paranoid as me. When there are unique and creative ideas for moments of crisis, I’m eager to learn about them.

Just know I’ll be coming to find you in the event of an apocalypse. :joy:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Nothing fancy. I carry a burner phone which only my Wife has the number to. I recently had to swap out the SIM card as the former PAYG SIM had been compromised. She in turn has an unlisted number employer supplied work phone alongside her personal phone, so I can call that if I need to.

Believe it or not, I’m not at all paranoid, I’m just very careful. I make on average 3 or 4 personal calls a week on my own phone. I don’t need to make hundreds of calls every month or spend hours talking drivel to people I don’t like anyway :laughing:

As for email, I use Proton mail and it’s pretty good at dealing with spam.

1 Like

Some people get paid into one account with only one personal account set up as a payee. Anything else would be blocked by a card reader/biometrics to add additional security. I’ve heard of Nationwide or RBS customers doing this to limit damage to their salaried/savings linked account. Wise or barmy in your books?

Different people do different things. I have my work salary paid into one account and my pension paid into a completely different bank account to my salary. I do also of course have biometrics switched on for all of my accounts. My card controls are mostly locked down for the functions I have no daily use for.

My whole approach might seem totally over the top but it keeps me happy :+1:

2 Likes

Was genuinely interested in your take as a fellow Proton user!

I have most of my regular payees on all of my accounts for ease but wondered if it could be foolhardy

I definitely don’t have all of my regular payees set up on each of my accounts for ease. I have the minimum of payee’s possible. If I pay someone as a one off payment, I delete them after the payment has gone through.

Most of my payee’s are direct debit anyway, usual stuff, utilities, council tax, mortgage etc.

1 Like

Time to remove some payees from a back up account!

Seems that the share structure of Revolut was an issue for the Bank of England / PRA / FCA?

But they’re still trying to get it, for obvious reasons

1 Like

I think we might need to change the title of this thread :joy:

“Revolut expected to get banking licence eventually, once the entire management is replaced by industry compliance heavyweights” is my suggested title

1 Like

Hopefully this title change covers the bases…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I was thinking ‘Revolut desperately seeking UK banking licence’ :joy:

Maybe with a tagline ‘before It goes bust’

3 Likes

More bad press for Revolut.

Honestly I generally think people are probably grossly negligent.

If someone really already had access to his account (of course they can’t share that until ordered to by a court during litigation, where I imagine the solicitor will argue Revolut was negligent in not accurately authorising account access) then him giving some “confirmation text” codes to Revolut I believe is alright.

I get codes sent to me from banks to confirm things.

I heard a radio 4 piece laying into Revolut where someone had knowingly installed any desk. Now I’m sure if it were me I’d want my money back, but it’s crazy what people will do. Unless Revolut can get the money back the cost will be well in excess of what they could ever earn from that customer relationship.

When I ordered my first Revolut card, I downloaded the app onto my work iPhone and ordered a card, and other than putting £10 on the card to pay for delivery, did nothing else. The day before I got the (physical) card - I hadn’t set up a virtual one at this point, I received a notification that a €132 transaction for a taxi in Amsterdam had been declined. I contacted Revolut - which I remember being a massive faff, and they sent me a replacement card but no further contact.

Quite how this event occurred without some kind of insider malfeasance, I don’t know, but I very much doubt it was malware on my phone. I read the article in the Grauniad and there is definitely something rotten in the state of Revolut.

You and I know what Anydesk is and how these scams work. It’s wrong to presume the same level of knowledge is universal, or even held by most.

That in and of itself shouldn’t be relevant.

1 Like