Royal Bank of Scotland accounts

The whole reason people want to abandon physical in favour of digital is net zero aspirations, to begin with; what makes you think that printing notes, then printing notes that simply show that the bank has the original notes available, anything but extremely stupid - reduce is part of the 3 Rs

Someone has to print them! I would imagine they’re all printed by the same company anyway. The Bank of England doesn’t issue banknotes in Scotland or Northern Ireland AFAIK.

The BOE doesn’t issue Sterling notes direct to the public (other than small exchanges via it’s offices of old/damaged notes)

Scottish banks can obtain and issue BOE notes if they so choose. I’ve used ATMs in Scotland (and the CI/ IOM) that have a notice that they issue BOE notes.

1 Like

Just started using the RBS app today after waiting the mandatory 3 full days from “changing” my mobile number.

How long do you have to use the app for before you can enable biometric approval?

I have been there for 42 days with several transactions out but still can not use it.

I decided to get RBS rewards credit card. I have never been able to get Amex so with 1% cashback on almost all the UK supermarkets this was one of the best and because I have Rewards account, I won’t have to pay any annual fees.

I applied yesterday and was able to add the card to GPay today. Really good to see traditional banks implementing this sort of stuff.

1 Like

Which have you found haven’t triggered 1%? It seems to be a very broad definition of supermarket, including places like Farmfoods, Heron Foods and even Custcutters.

I agree it’s a very underrated product, I’d go as far as to say a no-brainer if you have their Reward account (which is also very easy to make £3/month from).

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking my Child & Co account isn’t a Rewards account? :thinking:

There’s no reason it can’t be - my fiancée and I each have one solo Child & Co Reward Account and a joint one.

If you’re not paying a fee currently you probably have a Select account. You can request a change using a form on the website or app.

I’m not, so I guess it’s not. Thanks.

Edit: So I’m upgrading and grabbing a Rewards credit card as well.

1 Like

Does online spend also qualify for the 1% cashback? So if I book a grocery delivery for instance?

It usually will do yes.

1 Like

When doesn’t it?

In the rare instance the merchant isn’t flagged as a grocery chain. It’s happened at times with Waitrose, and in the past with Ocado, where they’re categorised as shopping and not groceries by the bank. (Due to their sister brands I suspect). That’s not to say they won’t still track for the cashback with RBS, I don’t know how they’re doing it, but if it’s the MCC, depending how wide the net, I suspect not.

In England, co op can send you through Deliveroo for your online grocery shopping for some postcodes. It won’t track as grocery shopping here either.

1 Like

I suppose Ocado is technically not a supermarket.

I wonder if M&S Food halls inside M&S count.

2 Likes

Only one way to find out! :yum:

And to continue the credit card talk, does RBS allow you to change between credit card products like Barclaycard do?

Their website has a “Change or take out a second card” heading but I can’t see anything about actually being able to just change products

Yes, at least as of a few years ago when I changed my longstanding Student credit card in to a Reward one. They were also happy to move credit limits between products.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with credit balance refunds & RBS credit cards? What’s the process if so?

Thanks

Too early to say anything. I only started using the card yesterday. Still waiting for physical card.