Starling and CASSed payees

Just sent an FP from Starling to one of my existing payees and it looks like they’ve CASSed away from that account. The payment went through OK and then I noticed that the sort code and account number had been automatically updated in the stored payee. I’ve never noticed this before and think it’s rather cool :slight_smile:

Is this just a Starling (or FinTech) thing, or do older banks do this, too?

3 Likes

I think this is meant to be something every bank does

1 Like

I think some banks send you a notification (I did once receive a paper letter from Barclays) rather than action it.

But all banks that participate in cass should act on it in some way, as far as I know …

It definitely didn’t happen with my existing HSBC payees when I paid to a CASSed account.

The CASS information is rather vague and suggests that you’ll be notified if you pay somebody who has switched, but doesn’t say how…

All banks should do this.

What happens to payments that people send to my old account?
The Current Account Switch Service will redirect payments to your new account. Each time an electronic payment is redirected an automatic message is sent back to the originator advising them of the new account details so they can update their records. Some organisations may contact you directly to confirm your details have changed.

I knew that payments were forwarded on, but I’ve never noticed details being automatically updated following a notification from the receiving bank. Good stuff!

2 Likes