Starling blocking crypto transactions

The frustration with this is real. Also without going into to much detail of anything specific. I am aware of companies currently trying to shut down a crypto scam where someone will generate a new crypto token and base it off of something more legitimate looking in an attempt to legitimise the token. They then go on to the usual pump and dump scheme, or pump and transfer to a new crypto then pump again.

The whole setup is a scam and the exchange is very reluctant to do anything about it. Legal action is limited due to location, and if the scam can be disrupted sufficiently then the creator dumps the token and disappears off to create a new scam leaving his victims stuck having lost all their money.

The nature of it means thereā€™s nothing to stop them creating as many scams as they want. And the nature of crypto means that you donā€™t even need cash. They can get you into their new ā€˜coinā€™ via another Bitcoin exchange or directly from your own Bitcoin wallet into their exchange of choice.

As your cash it outside the regulated market, your screwed. But the trail ultimately started with your cash in a bank eventually ended up in the hands of a criminal.

Good luck to people thinking they can take a bank to court over not allowing crypto withdrawals or depositsā€¦ Youā€™ll get no where :rofl:

3 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cryptocurrency

@Mathew @Graham looks like thereā€™s a few posts that could do with moving into the cyrpto thread. Itā€™s now just over nerdy here and a bit off topic from the original focusā€¦

1 Like

Yep, just thinking that. Thanks @Topsy2.

Where to startā€¦ā€¦ā€¦:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Iā€™d go from Recchanā€™s post a couple of hours ago, the Nobel prize bit, that should do itā€¦

1 Like

I would agree with you

Thanks folks.

Could have gone deeper but then Iā€™d have had to re-read it all and, well, you knowā€¦

2 Likes

For me, the problem is this asymmetrical liability. If exchanges were fixed with at least some of the costs, I think the problem would be a lot smaller overnight.

Well, just went through the filing of a complaint process with Starling

Time to wait and see how this pans out

I reckon youā€™ll get the finger if Iā€™m honest. They will have already come up with a plausible explanation. I feel youā€™re just wasting your time to be fair, but hey, if you feel that hard done by, why not!

1 Like

I made the complaint not on the grounds that they have no right to do what they want, as @danw mentioned

I made a complaint that simply asked for acknowledgement that this has inconvenienced legitimate users with money tied up in crypto, as no notice period was provided

I have also just made a transfer to Coinbase, but Binance is blocked

Really weird

The complaint was only in relation to yourself though right?

No, but I did mention that i now have to find another way to cash my crypto out

They told me you can still purchase via card, to which I told them I canā€™t cash out without passing KYC which requires me to be able to make an initial deposit

Which is highly ironic, given crypto was/is intended to bypass the banking system and be entirely p2p!

1 Like

maybe one day, but not in the near future. it would be a lot cooler though if instead of banks we were using different wallets and just transferring our private keys over

Iā€™d be very happy to receive your private keys, thank you.

id give you them if i knew where they were

i lost my hardware wallet, although i donā€™t know where i lost it. thankfully i have 0.0008ETH inside

I just had a call (and an argument) with one of these scams.

She called and said ā€œIā€™m calling about your bitcoin trading accountā€, which I donā€™t have, so I knew it was going to be a scam. Then proceeded to ask me if I had an account.

I called her out on her fishing, saying itā€™s clearly a scam and she has no idea.

ā€œWhy do you think itā€™s a scam?ā€

ā€œBecause I donā€™t have a trading account, you started off saying I did, then asking about it and soon youā€™ll want me to transfer moneyā€

Then she started to try and talk louder and talk over me, so I told her to listen without talking, which she got angry about and said she didnā€™t have to listen to me at all (lol) and cut me off.

Iā€™m definitely going onto a shit list!

So clearly this was a completely hope for the best call from a dickhead in a call centre? Sheā€™s lucky it wasnā€™t me because woman or man, Iā€™d have still called them my favourite Anglo Saxon swear word. They obviously donā€™t know who you are and theyā€™re never going to make a complaint, so crack on and verbally abuse them :laughing: