Starling business account vs Monzo business account

Is one better then the other? I’ve applied for and been offered a Monzo Business Account I have the free account but both free and paid accounts can be spoken about, however I’m wondering what the other side has.

The option to apply isn’t available to me for Starling so I’m just wondering. Apologies if this topic has already been done to death here.

The main difference between the two is that Starling provide an IBAN number for international payments, but Monzo do not with any of their accounts. If you deal internationally it may be something to consider.

1 Like

Starling has better connections. My company have slack set up via the starling bank app so that payments go into a private channel for our accounts team to monitor and keep an eye on.

2 Likes

That’s extremely interesting is that offered with the paid for version or is that allowed on their free option as well?

1 Like

Starling doesn’t charge for marketplace connections. Invoicing - Book Keeping and VAT and Tax is the paid for features.

The downside is you can’t invoice in the app like you can with Monzo

1 Like

What with other Monzo customers or for everyone regardless of whom they bank with?

No, if you pay for the paid account for businesses with Monzo and starling you get advanced features like built in invoicing etc

We have both as a limited company, bit Starling is the main one.

We have two directors, both have debit cards and can access Starling. Monzo allows this on the paid version.

Similar to @JonasP, we have a slack integration, but it was built in house using personal access tokens. I don’t believe Monzo has this option (happy to be corrected!)

I like Monzo, but feel Starling has the better offering, for us at least

1 Like

I’ve always said Starling feels more professional and just is a better experience all together in my opinion.

On the downside to starling is Monzo had square card payments built in to receive payment so if you don’t have a payment processor starling is harder to get paid.

We use go cardless that’s integrated into our starling via open banking connections and stripe :sweat_smile:

I think I’m going off track sorry

1 Like

No please, let this topic breathe a little. :+1:

1 Like

I can’t say for Starling, but I found Monzo to work really well as a sole trader. Connections to card readers (we used Square because there was an offer on) was actually really easy to setup. I never used the invoicing side but I believe that to work quite well.

1 Like

What one of the two do you all think works better for a brand new limited company?

I’d say Starling. Just based off experience. What you need to consider what you need for your company and which one has that to work better for you. If in doubt. Open both. Try them and kick off the one you don’t like

2 Likes

I’m unfortunately not offered the business account for Starling. Don’t ask me why as I have no clue.

1 Like

Your decision has just been made for you. Your not at a loss using Monzo

2 Likes

I did say the above in my initial post however for the present yes it most definitely has. I just wanted to compere and contrast the two accounts.

I have accounts for both, but prefer Starling’s offerings, and considering closing Monzo Business due to inactivity.

Would they allow me to reapply, if I decide to open an account with them again at a later stage?

That’s subject to status, so basically it’s completely up to them.

1 Like

From what I hear about their Current accounts, doesn’t seem promising tbh. :melting_face:

1 Like

Yeah I hear you, have you tried Tide?