Starling launches new ad campaign

I agree with you completely, but it’s going to be interesting to see how long both last. Covid has massively accelerated the decline of both, I think.

1 Like

And with regards to cash, although I don’t wish to deliberately veer off topic, when Her Maj passes on, it’s going to cost the country an absolute bloody fortune to change all of the banknotes. Not just us either, all of the Commonwealth countries and British Overseas Territories using cash with the Monarch on them.

They won’t change the banknotes, or the coins, as they’ve never done that previously. They only put the new monarch on new notes and coins, but existing ones with the old monarch on them are still used until they wear out.

Yes, but they hurriedly redesign them all and release new ones within about 5 years. So far it’s taken more than 5 years just to update most notes and the £1 coin, so that would be much quicker than the “natural” replacement cycle.

There’s a distinct possibility then, that Charles will never see his head on a banknote :laughing:

1 Like

They replace the sovereign’s portrait immediately for new coins, but swapping the design should be fairly straightforward. They’ve probably already got a portrait of Charles lined up for use, just in case.

As I said, the old coins and notes with Elizabeth II on them would continue in circulation.

The last pre-decimal coins were only taken out of circulation in the early 90s, and even then only because they reduced the size of the 10p and 5p coins. The old shillings were used as 5ps and the old 2 Shillings were used as 10ps. Up until then there were still plenty of George VI and even George V coins in daily use.

Same here. Especially as I use Apple Pay, so my card hardly ever leaves my wallet. Aside from a couple of ATM withdrawals, I reckon in the past 6 months my physical Starling card has only been used at a merchant once - that was when I gave it to my mate to get my round in, as I was still finishing my pint and he was gasping for another! He did comment on the design of the card though, so it obviously impresses some people!

I’ve never once used Apple Pay, so I can’t comment on that. The closest sort of thing I guess for me, is the Tesco Pay+ app, which me and 'er use on each and every Tesco visit.

As for my physical Starling card, I haven’t used it for a week. A virtual card would be nice.

This is my issue too. Tech companies seem to think providing support is secondary or even unecessary and I honestly beleive that where it not a regulatory requirement these fintechs might not even provide a phone number.

1 Like

Revolut don’t have one tbf. Only an automated line to cancel a card.

Ok, I firmly admit that I have previously admitted to not taking any notice of the reviews posted on a famous review site, but, I saw something when I was googling that caught my eye from someone effectively asking if Starling were going to introduce a credit card. Starling’s CS stated within their response ‘this is something we’re working on’. The review was from 4 days ago, so whether Starling are actually going to release a credit card in the near future, I look forward to see.

2 Likes

I doubt any of us will live long enough to see that credit card

1 Like

It would undoubtedly be of little use to me anyway if they do. I’m a massive fan of long interest free purchase periods, not a pissy 3 months with a £2k credit limit which seems de rigueur for some providers.

1 Like

To be honest I’d only really be interested in it if there was cashback or some other sort of perk on purchases - I don’t borrow on credit cards so interest free periods are no good to me!

3 Likes

I do! I buy our expensive holidays on them and then pay them back over the interest free period. I’m really strict with my repayments and I card tart quite a bit. I don’t see why I should fork out the entire amount in one go when it costs me nothing to pay the balance back over say 20 months. Not only that, I get the s.75 protection to boot.

2 Likes

This was the reason I ended up with a Barclaycard in Feb 2020. 0% purchases offer for 18 months.

Paid for a four grand holiday on it and put the four grand in a fixed saver instead for a year.

Then covid hit and the four grand was refunded to the card.

So now I have a 0% card with very little on it and an expiring 0% period :man_shrugging:

And I still have the four grand, plus a nice 1.70% interest bonus. Remember those days?

1 Like

Have seen this around the tube over the past week. Kentish Town especially had a big presence, with a large poster across the tracks from the platform entrance.

4 Likes