Switch Bonus

“There’s nowt wrong with that”, as Martin Lewis would say!

I just CASS’d my RBS account I have sitting for the switch bonus.

How is Santander as a bank, is their app any good?

It’s old school. But they’re dependable. Can’t say much more than that.

When I used it - no later than 2019 - it was a god awful app whereby you couldn’t see up standing orders nor view pending card payments

It may have improved a bit - but can’t imagine it being very exciting

Alright thanks I’ll not bother getting excited for it :laughing:

1 Like

There’s no card reader :joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

I need to look at the switch into Nationwide a bit more carefully. I have a Joint Nationwide account and I want to switch my RBS account to it to get the £125 bonus. I’m not sure though if I have to open a sole account with Nationwide or whether I can just switch into the Joint account. That aside, it seems as though you have to have two working direct debits from the account you want to CASS so unless I create two direct debits within RBS, I’m stumped anyway. My only option, is to switch my only two Direct Debits from my Starling account to RBS, but that would be a total faff. Oh, decisions, decisions!

If Chase suddenly announce they’re joining the CASS scheme, I might just switch RBS to them and have done with it, but then perhaps I should wait until Chase becomes properly established in the UK before making any rash decisions.

Lloyds didn’t require any DDs for their switch, only for the interest element of the Club Lloyds account.

That’s where I sent one of my Virgin Money accounts. Promptly paid too.

2 Likes

I’m thinking you’re ok as long as you set up two DDs once you’ve opened the account.

I set up two £1 annual direct debits with some “provider” recommended by a simple Google search of mse, and that did the trick for nationwide

Nationwide cocked up my account opening

Instead of £100 I now have £50 coming by cheque due to a comp - consolation prize

Their app is not good at all. Lower your expectations. Just switch for the money and wait for the next offer to switch it too

3 Likes

You can see pending card payments, I don’t think they let you edit standing orders in the app at all, though - that has to be done in online banking.

As others have said, Santander in general is a bit clunky and old-school (with no fancy features at all) but the features they do have seem to work well and they have generally been a reliable bank in my experience.

So that counts for something.

Same!

I literally made loads of accounts for no reason I’m not sure about you but I might make it one account per direct debit for the lolz idk. Depends how bored I get

I opened them preparing for switch bonuses in the future. I don’t want to be caught off guard like this year’s round. You never know they may win my loyalty and I give them a few DDs

I doubt that you’ll be able to switch additional Chase accounts, just as you can’t with Starling additional accounts.

2 Likes

We should not compare Chase to Starling. Let’s wait and see what Chase has to offer. Until then, I am still hopeful.

2 Likes

Chase have one debit card covering all your current accounts with them.

I am sure there is another bank that does that? :thinking:

4 Likes

And you famously need the debit card details to switch so it’s definitely a non starter

I don’t get this obsession with switching additional accounts

2 Likes

Certainly, but of all the current fintech bank offerings, I’d put Chase pretty low down the list of those who’ll encourage customers to leave. There’s so much they’ll likely be doing to build a customer base this coming year. CASS surely won’t be one of them.

I’m not convinced, either, of the wisdom in chopping in and out of current accounts on the scale you seem to be suggesting. It just won’t look good.