Tax selling to the EU post-Brexit

Honestly I’m somewhat curious as to why I, a foreign based person with a foreign company, would collect VAT on behalf of the EU

I’m curious on what framework they’d have to even attempt to take this money from me if I didn’t want to pay it, as AFAIK UK courts are now not bound by European ones

I thought the idea of leaving the EU was to make Britain better, no other country charges VAT when it conducts all operations outside of the EU

But I suppose ranting gets me nowhere, I just need to get some consultation and see what my tax liabilities will be

Because its the law. The same applies the other way around (you buying from eu companies) Depends on whether you are shipping physical goods or providing a service, though. Different rules apply.

Oh boy, where do we even start…

Non-EU/EEA/UK citizens don’t pay any VAT when purchasing from our sellers

Nor do I ever see them charging for example, Japanese VAT to Japanese customers or other nations equivalents, because they don’t operate there and it complicates doing business

Honestly if you haven’t learnt by now, you never will.

/shrug only flaw with it I’ve seen so far is NI but that’s such a heated topic that I don’t want to touch it with a bargepole

Everything else we’re crushing it on since leaving and destroying red tape

We have:

• effectively nationalised railway infrastructure and put in systems to make companies compete to manage them, meaning we can replace them or not pay them if they don’t meet our standards + set our own schedules
  • rolled out an amazing investment program in our country via free ports
  • established the most successful mass vaccine rollout in history, as well as donated amazing life-saving aid via COVAX and donations to individual nations
  • announced protections for academic speakers that protect Britain’s place as a powerhouse of research and debate, without fear of deplatforming. The government also has teeth to enforce this
  • protected our heritage and culture by making it illegal to tear down our history
  • increased our nuclear deterrent as we enter a new age of standing up on a world stage as a sovereign nation
  • built not one, but two aircraft carriers (which is absolutely outstanding and most nations cannot manage one) and operate them simultaneously

This is just part of the brilliant return to a future world leading Britain

I guarantee you, that vat has nothing to do with citizenship. That’s for sure.

Japanese customers as in based in Japan, I’m aware its based on tax residency, not citizenship

Apart from the fact that a lot of that is debatable whether is actually advantageous, none of that couldn’t have been done inside the EU.

Not based on tax residency either, my friend. In a nutshell its got to do with where a service is consumed, or where a product is being used.

There is obviously a lot more to it than that,but the question of tax residency or citizenship doesn’t come into vat considerations.

The rail infrastructure cannot be owned by the people collecting ticket revenue (aka the operator) in the EU, nor would we have been able to invest so heavily in Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine development and purchasing with so much political pressure from every other member state wanting to jointly purchase COVID vaccinations

Where exactly is it based? For VAT I am almost 200% confident it is on the customers residency location, I’ve looked at the specifications around it.

It’s called “country of declared residence” but you can also use IP address to geolocate and charge based on this

That’s not actually true

I think the Independent is a reliable news source?

That’s not what you said, though

Don’t want to be a spoil sport, but to try and keep things civil, maybe politics and political views shouldn’t be discussed on a fintech forum (as per the FAQ)

1 Like