Tesco Clubcard Pay

I’ll pass I think.

Don’t need any more cards for my shelf.

Well, that was short and sweet.

Off the back of this thread, I signed up to Clubcard Pay. Impressively quick delivery of card and PIN, so I transferred £30 to it, and took it to town this afternoon. I have a thing to change my PINs to similar ones, so took it to the first bank I encountered - Santander. Put it in. Put the PIN in. Requested PIN services, it asked me to re-enter the PIN, then the new PIN, twice. Did this, and the machine told me to re-enter the PIN - I tried the new one - it rejected it. I tried the old one - it rejected that as well.

So I rang Tesco’s call centre - answered relatively quickly (in Scotland), and I asked them to reset the card so I could try again. They first said “there’s no record of you making a transaction” and then said “Oh that machine’s probably broken, try another”. So tried the machine (Halifax) opposite - went through the same rigmarole, at the end of which the machine ate the card. “Oh, sorry about that, not much I can do, I’m afraid, I can order you a new card, you should get it within 7 to 10 days”. Not being happy with this, I ask to speak to a supervisor, at which the call eentre worker unexpectedly flips her lid. “She’ll only tell you what I’ve told you, you’d be wasting our time”. After 10 minutes on hold, said supervisor then says

i) both machines were faulty
ii) the card was faulty
iii) there was nothing wrong at their end

But wouldn’t accept that maybe something could be wrong with their systems. After 20 minutes of this, she reluctantly accepts that I can indeed log a complaint, and will order me a new card and PIN.

So far, so bad.

I then transfer my money out of the app (and I am so glad I did) - and then look to see if the money has left the account this evening. I go to log in and…Tesco have closed the account.

I suppose that’s one approach to dealing with complaints.

1 Like

That’s a horror story. You’ll be making good use of your right to complain, no doubt?

I also signed up following this thread just to see what it would be like…

I have now received 2 cards, and 2 pins, and had to guess which one to activate… although only one signup completed and the other crapped out!! but only one account has been created…

3 Likes

Well, she wasn’t wrong there - the supervisor did just say what she said :rofl:

4 Likes

I think that now they’ve shut the account, they probably feel they don’t need to. I suspect me emptying the account may have sparked this.

2 Likes

What a crummy experience. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I hate it when call centre staff (or shop staff) refuse or resist handing you over to a supervisor. In what world do people say “Oh well, fair enough, I don’t want to speak to one then”. The original call centre worker was refusing to take a complaint “as we don’t know what happened so there’s nothing to complain about”, but the supervisor did take a complaint

1 Like

I’ve always assumed it’s because they get penalised in some way, probably at performance reviews, for having to hand over to supervisors as though it indicates that they have been incompetent.

In reality, that isn’t the case - so it is a poor metric to measure in the organisation as it results, as a side effect, in this kind of poor customer experience. After all, there are some things you just need a supervisor for (they often have more authority than 1st line support).

Not to excuse it, mind you, but it’s probably not 100% their fault.

1 Like

And in what world does the “complained about” get to decide if you can complain? :flushed:

1 Like

I’ve signed up, but apparently they need time to do further checks. I think it is probably because my Tesco.com and Tesco bank email addresses don’t match.

Is it just me or was the signup about 20 screens?!

It seemed quite simple and easy to me, but I already had a Tesco.com and Tesco Bank account under the same email address, so most of it seemed to be pre-filled for me.

I remember a Virgin Media staff member from Manila weeping and telling me if I asked to speak to her supervisor (and got put through), she would be deducted pay. The problem was that she didn’t have the permissions to do what I needed her to do, only the supervisor had that…

Oh my god that’s shocking! What awful business practices.

Will probably be ditching Virgin when Cityfibre lines go operational here, under a company that’s hopefully not Virgin. I know their support is bad and I could live with it, but Jesus Christ I didn’t think it could be that horrible to work for.

Not used the new card.
Did note though at moment any top up or transfer after 4pm on Saturday doesn’t go into the account until Sunday.

Thankfully there is a warning about this but I hope it’s sorted soon otherwise you would need to avoid the 4pm deadline!

1 Like

In general, Tesco Bank’s Faster Payments have never been that fast!

It may be best to plan accordingly, and keep some money in the account if you regularly shop in Tesco at the weekend and want to use the card.

It went on for ages, and I even though I was not applying for credit or credit card, they seemed to be asking hard credit check kind of questions ;-(

Alliance & Leicester, IIRC, tried to argue that dumping someone making a representation to the Obudsman meant the customer could no longer use the Ombudsman, as they were no longer a customer.

1 Like

Well they do say they are doing a soft search, so that isn’t too surprising.

They seem to have kept their word with that as I haven’t noticed any hard searches from them at any of the CRAs.

I did say Hard Credit search, not soft. Every other soft search has not required me to answer in the detail Tesco did, but plenty of credit card applications did.